ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
The Data Science Team at Hess focuses on Artificial Intelligence (AI) with the overall goal of building powerful deep learning models. Data Scientists are required to create innovative technologies through working on a diverse and stimulating range of projects in the realm of seismic processing and interpretation. It is anticipated that various types of prototype deep neural networks and AI solutions are to be embedded into commercial platforms for the enhancement of subsurface characterization.
Having built a flexible and collaborative environment encouraging innovation, Hess actively encourages Data Scientists to engage with Geophysicists, Geologists, and Engineers within the exploration organization to foster positive change. The successful candidate will be provided every facility to enable innovation of geophysical and geologic workflows utilizing deep-learning approaches.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and prototype deep learning models for subsurface data including large scale 3D seismic datasets, well logs, drilling data, and unstructured data, etc.
- Experiment with new or early stage of deep learning algorithms
- Solidify existing algorithms working with combinations of subsurface data
- Maximize the quality of the algorithms and associated results
- Build a data processing pipeline for deep learning tasks
- Partner with Technology and IT departments to build industrial-level code
- Work collaboratively with Geoscientists, developing algorithms to solve challenging problems within the exploration and production domains
- Provide innovative solutions to increase workflow efficiencies using artificial intelligence including:
- Subsurface data quality control and fast visualization
- Automation of traditional exploration workflows
- Reduction of cycle times and improvement of subsurface interpretations
- Enhancement of seismic image quality
- Integration of various data types
- Build relationships that drive an innovative cultural shift and foster base level competencies of data science through leadership of a technical community
- Work with external vendors and technology organizations to identify appropriate external resources such as joint industry projects, research consortia etc. to enhance subsurface capabilities and improve digital capabilities
- Pursue continuous learning through latest publications in the deep learning domain to keep up with academic and industrial trends.
- Minimum of 8 years total professional experience with 5+ years of experience in the AI domains that have been applied to the fields of computer vision, speech recognition, natural language processing, or audio recognition
- Knowledge of latest neural network architectures such as convolutional neural networks, deep generative models, recurrent neural networks, etc.
- Master’s Degree and/or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or related quantitative fields
- A strong mathematical, statistical and machine learning background especially in the optimization theory, stochastic algorithms
- Experience in implementing and developing deep learning models
- Ability to translate research papers into practical code
- Python programming skills and experience with one or more deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Experience with GPU technology, CUDA programming, Linux etc.
- Experience in working with large geophysical data sets including a deep understanding of the seismic method
- Experience in modern seismic processing methods including Full-Waveform Inversion (FWI), Lest-squares Migrations and sub-salt imaging techniques
- Familiarity with Quantitative Geophysical Theory and Practice
- Seismic Interpretation experience using modern workstation software including Petrel, Geoteric, Paleoscan etc.
- Guyana and GoM seismic data familiarity would be advantageous
- A motivated technical leader able to clearly articulate and communicate ideas
- Ability to mentor early career data scientists and geoscientists
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Creativity – constantly seeking new ideas and ways of doing things to enhance value and reduce delivery risk.
- Inspires Innovation – uses a full scan of the world and seeks world-class performance; bold in exploring disruptive changes to make breakthroughs happen to the ultimate benefit of the shareholder
- Thinks Strategically – sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented
- Demonstrates Courage – questions the status-quo, takes hold of challenges and formulates a way forward
- Builds Trusted Relationships – works to move outside of comfort zone and develop trusted relationships and new business partnerships that enable business challenges to be tackled effectively; creates effective teams
- Drives Continuous Improvement – thrives on applying existing knowledge to challenging tasks, being eager to learn new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. Be able to adapt easily to meet the fast pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Delivers High Performance – unsatisfied with the status quo; urgently driving to improve business performance through relationships, process, innovation, etc.
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Posting Notes: Chris Dobo | Employee | Economics & Planning | United States| Texas | Houston | | | | | No | 25388
To apply for this job please visit jobs.hess.com.