Nabors Industries owns and operates one of the world’s largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a provider of offshore drilling rigs in the United States and multiple international markets. Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools, and innovative technologies for its own rig fleet and those of third parties. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors’ highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
Nabors is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. To learn more about our Fair Employment practices, please refer to the Nabors Code of Conduct.
The Automation Engineer II will be part of a team developing automation solutions for the drilling industry. In this position the candidate will deploy projects, interface with customers in various stages of the project, develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles, and provide technical support to external and internal customers.
Will be responsible for project success as a project leader or as part of a project team, ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed, interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems, and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as Controls and Automation engineer with role of designing and developing software for drilling applications based on given requirements and specification. Have a good understanding of basic machine controls which include induction motor control using AC Drives, MCCs, hydraulic/pneumatic and valve controls.
- Control software development will also include developing machine control algorithms for PLC based systems. HMI design and implementation, instrumentation and sensor interface, data logging, and communication interfaces with other industrial processors like PLC’s.
- Duties will include generation of Design documentation, PLC Code, HMI applications, Bill of Materials, Network Architectures, One Line Drawing, Operations manuals.
- Responsible of sustaining current rig applications and debugging / fixing issues that are reported in the field. This could be by answering calls and working with technicians, remotely connecting to rig system and troubleshoot, or by traveling to the rig site and working with rig personnel to fix the issue.
- Project lead on commissioning and rig deployments.
- Technical consultant to business stake holders, assist in gathering requirements from customers.
- Maintain product safety in all designs.
- Perform design prototyping, including field implementing and testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of communication networks and wiring issues with PLCs and other NW components
- Support management on intellectual property issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent field or relative software development experience.
- 10 to 15 years experience in an software engineering environment, developing controls and automation software in Rockwell or Siemens systems.
- Minimum 5 years in drilling equipment automation.
- Previous experience with controlling heavy rotating equipment using induction motors
- Experience in the drilling industry
- Strong field troubleshooting skills
- Effective communication skills both verbal & written, both 1-1 and group situations
- Situational leadership
- Time management
- PLC : RSlogix 5000, SLC 500, Omrom, Wago.
- HMI: Factory Talk View. Understanding for Rockwell software suite.
- Understanding of Hydraulics/ Pneumatics, AC drives and controls a plus (ABB/ Converteam/ Yaskawa)
- Knowledge of industrial communication protocols, including OPC, MODBUS, Ethernet IP, and Profibus required.
- Software design and development experience.
- Ability to read electrical schematics.
- Understanding of various communication protocols Profibus, Modbus, OPC, Ethernet IP, etc.
- Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills.
- Basic knowledge of Cisco switches and configurations.
- Project management and presentation skills.
- Ability to extract and document requirements from user problem description.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- While this position is primarily based in a professional office environment
- Travel to yards and rigs is essential and required
- 25% travel is expected
- The position supports drilling rigs that work 24/7 and will routinely require phone availability outside regular work hours
: United States Of America-Texas-Houston-(Nabors Corporate Services) Houston Office
To apply for this job please visit nabors.taleo.net.