Welcome to ConocoPhillips, where innovation and excellence create a platform for opportunity and growth. Come realize your full potential here.
Who We Are
We are one of the world’s largest independent exploration and production companies, based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With operations and activities in 13 countries, we explore for, develop, and produce crude oil and natural gas globally. We are challenged with an important job to safely find and deliver energy to the world. Our employees are critical to our success, and with them we power civilization.
We’re grounded by our SPIRIT Values – safety, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork. These values position us to deliver strong performance in a dynamic business – but not at all costs. We believe it’s not just what we do – it’s how we do it – that sets us apart.
We strive to make a significant difference in the communities where we live and operate. We create an inclusive environment that values all voices and opinions. Together, the different backgrounds, experiences, ideas, and perspectives of our employees drive our success.
Permian Basin Overview
ConocoPhillips and its heritage companies have operated in the Permian Basin for almost 100 years. Across New Mexico and Texas, the company holds conventional positions in the Northwest Shelf and Central Basin Platform, and an unconventional position in the Delaware Basin. Permian saw significant growth in 2021 with the acquisition of Concho Resources Inc. in January 2021 and the addition of Shell’s Permian acreage in December 2021. At year-end, the company held approximately 1.5 million net acres in the Permian Basin.
Net production for the Permian in 2022 was 461 MBOED.
If you are selected as the Automation Systems Lead, you will be supporting operations/maintenance, base (brownfield), and capital (greenfield) projects. The Automation Systems Lead will also need to cover a wide range of control systems, including programming, troubleshooting, and tuning of PLCs and PID loops. Instrumentation, Electrical, & Control systems are a critical piece of the ongoing operations and maintenance of the Delaware Basin South Asset. This role will also require in-depth collaboration to direct maintenance of our programs alongside our engineering team in support of asset goals such as, but not limited to, operability, security risk reduction, and revision control of programs. This position will be a leader for the team in safety and technical know-how for troubleshooting and mentoring of technicians/specialists.
This is a Safety Sensitive position.
Responsibilities may include:
- Comply with all applicable DOT and OSHA regulations, and safety policies and procedures.
- Performing all duties of this position with a focus on safety, environmental protection, and regulatory compliance
- Provide support to engineering for development of new programs and control schemes
- Serve as a leader in the organization for safety and technical knowledge
- Serve as leader for defect elimination in the automation & controls space, in conjunction with engineering
- Drive collaboration between multiple different teams, including Ops, Capital Projects, Engineering, Maintenance and Planning/Scheduling
- Coordinate with engineering and specialists to plan and execute program changes/upgrades
- Tune and Troubleshoot PID loops to help optimize field automation equipment
- Review failures and pull data for analysis to improve automation equipment operation and reliability.
- Identify control improvements and implement them through the MOC process
- Maintain technical and administrative records, including prints, project reports, and C&E’s
- Participate in cost reduction opportunities
- Be on call, respond to emergencies and maintain emergency response preparedness.
- Complete and maintain required safety/regulatory training (CBT’s)
- Directly supervise contract crews and ensure company standards are met
- Participate in the MOC process, which includes PSSR sign-off and project walkdowns
- Participate in Preventive Maintenance programs
- Willing and able (with or without reasonable accommodation) perform the following:
- Climb various ladders and stairs ranging up to 50 feet in height to perform maintenance on equipment
- Raise and transport articles weighing up to 50 pounds
- Walk, stand, stoop, sit climb and carry material on an as needed basis on even and uneven ground
- Work outside in harsh weather conditions
- Work alone a high percentage of the time
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Respond to after-hours calls when available for technician support
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Current/Valid driver’s license
- Adhere to ConocoPhillips HSE, Life Saving Rules, and SPIRIT Values
- 5+ years of experience in Instrumentation, Electrical, & Controls
- 5+ years of working knowledge on industry accepted end devices (Pressure/Temperature transmitters, Level detection, Flow measurement, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience in the oil and gas industry
- Advanced level knowledge of reading and understanding electrical drawings (i.e., P&ID’s, C&E’s)
- Advanced level knowledge of process equipment/flow, troubleshooting and production operations
- Intermediate level knowledge of low (120VAC) voltage circuits
- Intermediate level knowledge of SCADAPack’s, Allen Bradley, ROC800 and FloBoss 107 and Cygnet SCADA
- Intermediate level knowledge of PID loop tuning
- Intermediate knowledge of NFPA 70E Electrical Safety Codes
- Associate degree or higher in Instrumentation & Electrical (I&E), or related technical field and/or foreign equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in Instrumentation, Electrical, & Controls
- 5+ years of experience in the oil and gas industry
- Basic level of knowledge of the National Electrical Code
- Advanced level of knowledge of Industrial Control Systems
- Advanced level of knowledge in SCADAPack’s, Allen Bradley, ROC800, FloBoss 107
- Intermediate level knowledge of IIOT/Networking process and equipment. Including but not limited to: Radio communications systems (FreeWave, GE, Cambium, Ubiquiti Networks) and network Ethernet switches
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft O365 applications: Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, and Word
- Ability to collaborate with multiple disciplines and adapt to changing business needs
- Excellent communications and collaboration skills
- Takes ownership of actions and follows through on commitments by holding others accountable and standing up for what is right
- Delivers positive results through realistic planning to accomplish goals
- Builds effective solutions based on available information and makes timely decisions that are safe and ethical
ConocoPhillips’ sponsorship for employment authorization in the U.S. is not available for this position.
Apply Before: September 29, 2023
ConocoPhillips’ sponsorship for employment authorization in the U.S. is NOT available for this position.
In the US, ConocoPhillips is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit careers.conocophillips.com.