This is an exciting opportunity for you to be part of a global team in Shell Energy and Environmental Products (SE-EE) and contribute in driving the energy transition through to net carbon zero, whilst maximising shareholder returns.
Where you fit in
The Trading and Supply (T&S) SE-EE Business Risk and Controls Advisor will support the T&S Business Integration and Assurance Manager (BIAM) in managing risk for the SE-EE so the BIAM can meet his/her risk management responsibilities.
The Business Risk and Controls Advisor will do so by providing capability to support the business with risk policy implementation, control design and testing, Risk & Control Assessments (RCAs), incident management, issue management and remediation, risk appetite monitoring & risk reporting.
The Business Risk and Controls Advisor will work closely with LOD2 Compliance, Operational Risk and other RTAs for SME advise, support, review & challenge, and approvals (where required).
The Business Risk and Controls Advisor will initially focus on supporting the rollout of the Risk Management Approach (RMA) under the T&S Risk Task Force (RTF), working closely with the LOD2 functions, the BIAM Network and the RTF. This role will drive the implementation and embedding of the new integrated risk management framework into its business which is a multi-year phased project. Thereafter, the Business Risk and Controls Advisor will provide ongoingly support for the day-to-day management of the framework for the LOB, and support to uphold a strong risk culture.
What’s the role
The purpose of the Business Risk and Controls Advisor role is to provide LOB risk management capability.
This role w ill assist with the implementation of the new Risk Management Framework processes in accordance with the rollout of the Risk Management Approach (RMA) in a phased approach. Future state responsibilities are set out below.
- Driving and implementing risk ownership and comprehension in the business.
- Implementing, monitoring and reporting on business key risk indicators (KRIs) and key risk performance indicators KPIs.
- Completing regular, comprehensive and holistic Risk and Control Assessment (RCA) for the business, including the analysis of existing business risk and controls to determine the risk profile outside business risk appetite.
- Maintenance of risk profiles for the business and managing risk appetite monitoring.
- Designing, implementing and testing business specific controls (supported by central process & controls experts).
- Implementing and sharing of risk related best practice and lessons learned for the business.
- Supporting improvement activities run by the business and horizontally aligned RTF initiatives, including risk management tool enhancements that will be deployed cross business.
- Working with LOD2 to identify and assess new or emerging risks.
- Managing and supporting business specific LOD2 assurance activities, internal and external Audits (LOD3) and enquiries from regulators as required.
- For all of the above, working closely with LOD2 Risk Type Advisors (RTAs), LOD2 Compliance and Operational Risk for guidance, support, review & challenge.
What we need from you
- Experience and good understanding of risk management activities in a business (including compliance and operational risk), including
- Risk & Control Assessments (RCA)
- Incident and Issue Management, including Reporting
- Controls design and testing
- Significant experience in the Energy, Resources & Trading industry.
- Good understanding of the purpose of T&S, customer requirements, competitor positions, regulatory constraints, trading strategies and the mechanics of trading. Including a sound understanding of the commodity value-chains (supply chain management/ operations / economics / contracting): both upstream and downstream of the business.
- Clear understanding of the “three lines of defence” model and segregation of duties for each LOD.
- Excellent communication, stakeholder management and engagement skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong strategic problem-solving skills.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.shell.com.