Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem’s market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2020 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Capital Manager within our Convent Plant located in Convent, Louisiana.
Essential Job Duties
- This position is responsible for directing project engineering specialists to ensure continual improvement in health, safety, and the environment, plant reliability and costs, product quality, and employee technical knowledge.
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Ensure that Process Safety and Risk Management principles are incorporated into the foundation of department operations.
- Supervise and Manage the Plant Capital Managers throughout OxyChem. Provide oversite of project activities including planning, coordinating, executing and monitoring all capital projects designated as plant capital.
- Establish and maintain open communication with plant management at the company operating facilities supported by the Plant Capital Project Engineering Group to ensure the group is appropriately supported.
- Review the work and performance of the Plant Capital Project Engineering Group personnel to ensure accuracy and timeliness of project requirements.
- Perform conceptual, preliminary and detailed engineering design on an as needed basis.
- Coordinate the Plant Capital Project Engineering Group personnel to ensure business unit and overall company priorities are addressed in a timely manner by allocating the proper resources at the correct time.
- Serve as a technical specialist for the Corporate Engineering Department in the application of project management processes.
- Develop and/or share novel approaches and concepts to unique or controversial problems as appropriate.
- Coordinate between engineering disciplines, participate in project planning activities and support cost and schedule updates.
- Develop improved processes and tools to support department responsibilities and increase efficiency and accuracy of the group.
- Coordinate with the Major Projects, Project Controls, Process Engineering and Construction groups for assistance in project development, planning and execution.
- Work under minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple/changing priorities.
- Develop existing personnel and recruit new talent to the Plant Capital Project Engineering Group.
- Perform manpower planning and forecasting for personnel.
- Conduct performance reviews, salary and promotion recommendations, succession planning, mentor and coach as needed for the Plant Capital Project Engineering Group personnel.
- Develop training materials for use by other project engineering professionals.
- BS degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Chemical preferred) or Chemistry.
- A minimum of 10 years functional experience in project or process engineering performed in the refining/chemical/petrochemical industry.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Lead, Supervisor or Manager in the Project Engineering field.
- Proficiency in project management principles and methods.
- Ability to communicate with a broad spectrum of plant and corporate personnel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Access).
- Familiarity with SAP or equivalent computerized inventory management software.
- Self-starter with a strong desire to deliver superior results.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- A proven team player capable of working in a multi-discipline team environment with a desire to share knowledge.
- Managerial Courage – Be willing to take a stand on issues that may not be popular and not be afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring and team work skills with the ability to effectively transfer technical expertise to less experienced professionals.
- Ability to travel domestic as required to support assignments.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms. Must be able to work in high magnetic field environments.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
Value Added Qualifications
- Familiarity with project management software packages such as Icarus and Microsoft Project is a plus.
- Plant supervisory or management experience.
- Good comfort level presenting information to all levels of management.
- PMP certification is a plus.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status
– United States-Louisiana-Convent
– OXY CHEM
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.