Computational Software Engineer
Abingdon – United Kingdom
Computational software engineer
We are a global technology company, driving energy innovation for a balanced planet.
At SLB we create amazing technology that unlocks access to energy for the benefit of all. That is our purpose. As innovators, that’s been our mission for 100 years. We are facing the world’s greatest balancing act- how to simultaneously reduce emissions and meet the world’s growing energy demands. We’re working on that answer. Every day, a step closer.
Our collective future depends on decarbonizing the fossil fuel industry, while innovating a new energy landscape. It’s what drives us. Ensuring progress for people and the planet, on the journey to net zero and beyond. For a balanced planet.
Reservoir simulation is used to model fluid flow in porous media for various applications including carbon capture and storage and geothermal energy systems. SLB has multiple commercial reservoir simulators, including INTERSECT. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate to work within the INTERSECT software development team with particular focus on Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) workflows.
Essential responsibilities and duties:
You will be expected to operate within a multi-skilled and experienced team, taking state-the-art knowledge into commercial software workflows.
You will work on implementing and maintaining efficient software for modelling fluid thermodynamics and properties in complex systems involving hydrocarbons, water and salts (both dissolved and precipitated).
- Masters or doctorate in Reservoir Simulation, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills/technologies and solve challenging problems
- Familiarity with C++ (or similar high-level programming language)
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling techniques and associated numerical methods
- Knowledge of fluid thermodynamic and property calculation methods for complex systems with hydrocarbons, water and brines, and their efficient implementation
Experience in one or more of the following would be advantageous:
- Knowledge of geochemistry modelling/simulation (e.g., tools such as PHREEQC or the Geochemists Workbench)
- Agile software methodology experience
- Application of physics informed machine learning to numerical simulation
BlueFlex: We are open to flexible, hybrid working with a combination of on-site & home working days.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit careers.slb.com.