LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 51885
Why you should join us:
Suncor is on a journey to transform into a data-informed enterprise, where our people are empowered to make data-driven decisions.
We are building our Enterprise Data team and have several exciting opportunities! By joining us in the early stages of our journey, you can help shape what Enterprise Data looks like at Suncor. Help us achieve our goal of transforming data into a strategic enterprise asset that is shared, accessible, trusted, stewarded and secure. With your experience in industry leading data management practices, you will be a great fit for our team! Using your continuous improvement experience and understanding of how data can be a critical business asset, you will work with partners across Suncor to ensure our data management and governance standards/policies are adopted as we support Suncor’s transformation.
As a Data Catalogue Specialist, you will be responsible for designing, stewarding and implementing metadata quality frameworks, catalog management, data lineage, KPIs and metrics, procedures, tools and training. Working in partnership with Data Stewards and Business Data Owners to support them with the tools and skills needed to work with their communities to align to Suncor’s data principles.
You will use your expertise to:
- Develop and promote metadata and data lineage management, data cataloging practices and benefit awareness
- Profile and provide analysis and assessment of metadata quality using various industry best practices and tools
- Define our data catalog business rules
- Test and validate metadata and data catalog requirements
- Measure and monitor data catalog quality continuously
- Manage data catalog issues and correct data catalog defects
- Support appropriate capture and management of data lineage
- Design and implement operational metadata and data catalog quality management procedures
- Monitor operational data catalog management procedures and performance
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Seven years of experience in data management, governance, analytics or a related field
- Three years using data catalog tools and concepts including metadata capture and management to enable self-serve analytics and easy access to data
- Experience working with data management tools such as Informatica, Collibra, Microsoft Purview, Alation or a similar software
- Experience in facilitating, sharing and adoption of data governance best practices through governance counsels/committees and other communities across the enterprise
- Experience in managing and resolving data related issues and ensuring regulatory compliance policies are followed for data
- An Undergraduate degree or relevant professional experience the field of Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science or Information Management or a similar discipline
- The ability to actively listen, understand complex issues, and synthesize the information distilling it down to the relevant implications for Enterprise Data
- The ability to collaborate with and work effectively across multiple stakeholders with sometimes divergent interests to achieve a Suncor first outcome
- Alignment with our values: safety above all else, stronger together, operational discipline, curiosity and lifelong learning, and act with integrity
- Experience in designing and implementing operational metadata and data quality management procedures
- Building enterprise level data catalogue
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other important information:
- You will work out of our Calgary head office, located in the Suncor Energy Centre at 150 – 6th Ave S.W.
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday
- Relocation support will be provided
- We require qualified and safety-focused employees for business-critical roles that maintain our commitment to operational excellence and reliable operations. We are using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and we are well set up for remote onboarding and orientation
- Suncor encourages everyone to do their part and support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygiene practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you. For more information on how we’re responding to COVID-19, click here. #StrongerTogether
We are Canada’s leading integrated energy company with a business portfolio that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – if it isn’t safe, we don’t do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on sustainability mean tremendous potential for the future. Learn about our purpose and values.
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Stay connected to us:
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job postings and news
- Visit our Report on Sustainability to see our progress on a number of environmental, social and economic topics and what we’re doing to position our company for the future
- Join our Talent Community and sign up to receive customized job alerts
- Read our Suncor Connections newsletter to see what we’re doing in the communities we live and work in
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request. Check out our social goal to learn how we are working to build greater mutual trust and respect with the Indigenous Peoples in Canada.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so don’t delay, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Business Professionals
To apply for this job please visit jobs.suncor.com.