This role is for a senior Deal Structurer within Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products (SE-EE).
Where you fit in
Shell Energy Europe and Environmental Products (SE-EE) is part of Shell Trading and trades in natural gas and power in Europe and environmental products with a global scope.
The Deal Structuring team within SE-EE is a commercial function accountable for the valuation and risk assessment of new complex contracts that takes ownership of the valuation and deal management methodology.
The main activity of the Deal Structuring team is close collaboration with Originators and Trading desks to develop deal opportunities that add value and to support growth of the portfolio within the Energy product space in Power & Gas in Europe and for Environmental Products across the globe.
The Deal Structuring team (currently 14 Deal Structurers) operates from the Shell trading hub in London where most of the team members are based with some individual ones located in Hague and Singapore. The main commercial stakeholders for the Deal Structuring team are the Power and Gas Businesses in Europe and the Environmental Product Trading Business (EPTB) that operates globally with desks in London, Singapore, San Diego and Shanghai.
To support the growing activities of the business, the Deal Structuring team needs to expand and we are therefore looking for a senior individual who combines the quantitative and analytical skill set of a Deal Structurer with a commercial mindset and the ability to manage a complex stakeholder environment across multiple locations. The candidate is expected to have the necessary experience and self-dependence to quickly build a strong relationship with the business. All business lines work in fast changing and illiquid markets and continuously need to adapt. The role therefore requires an agile, creative mind and strong work ethic to keep pace with the market developments.
What’s the role
The main responsibility of the role is to collaborate with the business developers and support the growth of the portfolio and work alongside the originators from deal idea creation until closure of the contract, while being accountable for the methodology of the valuation and risk assessment of complex transactions.
The role needs to:
- Represent the Deal Structuring team and build strong relationships with the business stakeholders and internal functional departments (Risk, Finance, Credit, Legal)
- Collaborate with originators and traders to create innovative structured products in response to demand and changing market conditions
- Provide an independent view on structured transactions, with constructive challenge of the deal owner as required and suggest alternative solutions or improvements
- Develop and own valuation methods and models for pricing and risk assessment of complex structured contracts. Identify value drivers and risks inherent in the transactions
- (e.g. market risk, project risk, credit risk, regulatory risk, financing risk)
- As part of the deal team proactively engage with commercial project leaders to (re-)structure non-standard transactions during negotiation phase, be creative to suggest alternative solutions and adaption of contract structures
- Work closely with all relevant internal stakeholders during the approval process
- Collaborate with deal owners to manage and extract value from acquired structured positions
- Maintain close, collaborative relationships with the wider origination team and other internal partners in the value chain such as Shell Renewables and Energy Solutions (RES)
- Maintain an outward mindset and ongoing commitment of Deal Structuring to the One-team approach
This role is a challenging position with excellent development opportunities across T&S and the wider Shell group. We require a creative individual with excellent analytical/numerical and interpersonal skills. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand. The successful candidate will show the will and the ability to contribute to this objective and to constantly improve personal and team performance.
We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork and generating creative solutions to problems.
What we need from you
We’re keen to speak from individuals with experience in financial modelling or risk management in a trading environment. You’ll also call on your degree or post-graduate degree in any numerical subect (MSc, CFA, ACA or similar). You’ll bring us your excellent analytical/financial skills, business acumen and demonstrated achievement and experience with financial terms and metrics (e.g. collateral and accounting treatment).
We also hope you have these skills listed below:
- Previous exposure to Energy Markets (e.g. gas, power or environmental product markets)
- Exposure to reviewing and wording contractual agreements from a commercial viewpoint
- Good interpersonal skills, both with team colleagues and stakeholders, with a proven track record as a senior team member.
- Proven ability to work within a complex team, experience in working across multiple locations highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, relationship building and presentation skills.
- Fluency in the English language
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.shell.com.