Occidental is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
Our greatest asset has been, and will continue to be, our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geologist in our US Onshore Resources & Carbon Management (ORCM), Rockies Business Unit based in Denver, Colorado.
- Geo-steer horizontal wells in a 24/7 operation with possibility of multiple active drilling rigs.
- Interpret 3D seismic and incorporate findings with other reservoir drivers and requirements from development, exploration, and drilling teams to ensure successful execution of horizontal wells.
- Must be an exceptional teammate, excited to contribute, collaborate, and learn new skills.
- Provide geophysical interpretations to development geologists for more efficient and effective well planning.
- Provide timely and accurate post-well documentation and geologic data management.
- Develop and improve geoscience workflows for better technical results and efficient data transfer between teams and disciplines.
- QC and interpret mudlog, LWD, and directional survey data from the field.
- Assist in the standardization and oversight of geo-steering operations, mudlogging, wireline logging, and general wellsite geology.
- Effectively communicate and build strong working relationships with geologists/geophysicists in asset team, drilling personnel, MWD and directional crews, land teams, etc.
- Collaborate with other assets to share knowledge and provide horizontal operations support.
- Ability to travel to and from rig locations as required (<10%).
- Geologic development planning within a designated area of interest.
- Ensure area is properly planned while collaborating with a multidisciplinary team to deliver executable inventory.
- Produce development scenarios to best meet the needs of surface land, mineral land, reservoir characterization, regulatory, stake holder relations and execution timing.
- Identify, address, and mitigate any risks that arise throughout the development planning process.
- Assist with multidisciplinary meetings.
- Tracking progress, results and accountability in process tracking tools.
- Document development evolution as it pertains to both surface and subsurface changes.
- Create geoprogs for permit well plans.
- Work closely with assigned AOI Engineer to address economics and any other campaign planning concerns.
- Shepard inventory from initial permit stage through execution and ultimately production lookbacks.
- 5+ years of experience working directly in Operations geoscience in unconventional horizontal developments.
- A solid understanding of horizontal drilling operations, experience working with drilling engineers and rig crews to achieve complex well objectives.
- A high level of dependability, dedication, initiative, energy, creativity, interpersonal skills, adaptability, and an ability to work well within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must have the skills to communicate detailed technical information, key decisions, and critical updates under tight timelines.
- Experience steering with and without high quality 3D seismic and dense offset well control.
- Ability to work flexible hours and cover 24/7 horizontal geo-steering operations, including holidays.
- Extensive geo-steering experience in unconventional plays.
- Proficiency in geologic software and geo-steering applications (ideally Decision Space and StarSteer), as well as the core functions of Microsoft Office.
- The ability to review and quickly assimilate various pieces of data to drive decisions that consider the big picture, while still paying close attention to details.
- Proactively seek out and utilize experts (internal and external) to advise on technical projects.
- Strong structural geology proficiency and experience drilling in complex structural settings
- Prior experience with geologic/geophysical mapping and interpretation in both planning and execution phases.
- Prior experience interpreting and QCing MWD and geologic data collection best practices.
B.S. and/or M.S. Degree in Geology or Geophysics with relevant experience.
$100,000 – $170,000
$120,000 – $206,000
*Salary grade is determined based on a candidates education, industry experience, work history, skill set, and any unique qualifications.
Refer to a general description of all benefits to be offered to the hired applicant:
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
– United States-Colorado-Denver
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.