Geologist – Lithium Extraction
Houston – United States
Come join us at SLB New Energy and be part of an innovative team to build the future.
We launched SLB New Energy in 2020 to apply our domain expertise in areas adjacent to our existing activities and leverage our global footprint and execution platform to realize new energy and transition opportunities at scale. Using partnership models and our experience in technology industrialization, we are expanding into energy verticals beyond oil and gas. The diverse New Energy portfolio includes ventures in carbon capture and sequestration, energy storage, geothermal power, geoenergy for heating and cooling, sustainable battery-grade lithium, and hydrogen as an energy carrier.
The SLB Lithium Business Line maximizes the value of mineral resources through an innovative, sustainable DLE (Direct Lithium Extraction) process that outputs battery-grade lithium material. Preserving the environment while guaranteeing best-in-class economical lithium recovery and refinement is key to sustainable and responsible lithium production.
The Geologist is responsible for studying the composition, structure, and other physical attributes of the earth, including rocks and minerals. For the SLB Lithium business line, the geologist uses physics, mathematics, and geological knowledge to characterize the sedimentary layers and underlying basement rock to evaluate the viability of the lithium asset and determine suitable locations for reinjection of brine.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and carry out field studies, in which they visit locations to collect samples and conduct surveys.
- Analyze aerial photographs, well logs (detailed records of geologic formations found during drilling), core & rock samples, and other data sources to locate deposits of natural resources and estimate their size.
- Conduct laboratory tests on samples collected in the field.
- Ensure environmental and other regulations are met in construction and production projects.
- Make geologic maps and charts.
- Prepare written scientific reports.
- Present their findings to clients, colleagues, and other interested parties.
- Remain current on new technologies.
- Maintain customer visibility through active participation in professional society activities and calls for papers.
- Participate in external technical societies and communities.
- Contribute, write, and review technical publications.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Earth Science/ Geology.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a geologist or Petro-physicist.
- Extensive experience Coring and Rock Analysis.
- Previous Experience with shallow sedimentary basins/ Playas.
- Previous experience with Log interpretation (porosity & permeability).
- Previous experience with re-injection dynamics.
- Extensive experience with ArcGIS is required.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, or other characteristics protected by law. We are an “Equal Opportunity Employer”. For more information regarding your rights, refer to the latest version of the “EEO is the Law” poster, the “EEO is the Law-Supplement” poster, and the “Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision” located here: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation / modification to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in the interview process, please contact email@example.com to request assistance. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to.
We are committed to a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments, please visit our Diversity & Inclusion | SLB (slb.com) for more information.
SLB is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
To apply for this job please visit careers.slb.com.