Oxy is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, the Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil and gas producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
Occidental is looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Hydrogeologist in Houston, Texas under the general direction of the Lead Geoscientist, within 1PointFive Sequestration of Low Carbon Ventures. The position will support a new business within Oxy Low Carbon Ventures (LCV). The mission of the LCV group is to grow an externally focused low carbon services business utilizing Oxy’s significant experience in carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS), subsurface expertise, and to explore other low carbon service opportunities.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Conduct hydrogeological modeling of saline aquifers for CO2 sequestration
· Develop models of groundwater systems
· Perform quantitative hydrogeology
· Responsible for hydrological support of class VI well applications
· Create, maintain, and analyze geological maps and cross sections
· Perform risk assessments, develop mitigation strategies
· Analyze aquifer pumping tests
· Assist with report writing
· Help create and integrate aquifer data collection plans involving well logs, core analysis, and other tests
· Implement and manage shallow water monitoring programs to detect leaks and track CO2 movement
· Interact with internal and external stakeholders, including supporting commercial discussions with landowners, midstream providers, and emitter organizations
· Design and manage interactions with groundwater service districts
· Generate logging programs and geo-progs
· Present to Oxy management and external stakeholders as required
· Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations for CO2 sequestion
· Promote best practices through peer assists and reviews
· Explore new techniques and technologies for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of CO2 sequestration and monitoring
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
· Education: master’s degree in hydrogeology
· Experience: 10 + years of industry experience
· Skills & Competencies:
– Basic Petrel and Openworks experience
– Knowledge of Groundwater Modeling System software (GMS)
– Knowledge of relevant state and national regulations related to CO2 sequestration
– Ability to analyze and interpret geophysical and hydrogeological data
– Knowledge of risk assessment methodologies for CO2 storage
– Knowledge of and experience with hydrogeological testing methods
– Collaborative approach to problem solving
– Increasingly able to work independently, seeks out creative and innovative solutions.
– Can prepare detailed recommendations, memos, and reports on technical issues & decisions; can make significant contributions to key technical documents.
– Asks probing, thought-provoking questions and is engaged in meetings.
– Prepares and effectively delivers detailed technical presentations to co-workers, partners, and management.
– Geological understanding of the Gulf Coast Regional hydrogeology
– Knowledge on the class VI application process and the hydrogeological section.
– Provides occasional mentoring to asset or project team members on technical matters.
– Proactive in seeking assistance from local and company experts on technical matters.
– Ability to share best practices within the company (e.g. Lunch n’ Learns, internal technical forums).
– Understands environmental sustainability issues with a commitment to sustainable practices
– Understands and effectively represents asset & business problems to contractors, vendors, partners, and external groups.
– Familiarity with project management principles
It has come to our attention various individuals and/or organizations are contacting people falsely pretending to recruit on behalf of Oxy. Please be aware that these recruiting scams and communications do not originate from, nor are they associated with our recruitment process.
Oxy does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruiting process. We will never:
- Ask you to pay for applications, interviews, meetings, processing, training or for any other fees
- Use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an advance fee of any kind or
- Request personal information such as passport and bank account details at an early stage of our recruitment process.
We recommend against responding to unsolicited business propositions or offers from people you don’t know. Do not disclose your personal or financial details. If you believe you have been the victim of a recruiting scam, please contact your local police department.
– United States-Texas-Houston
– CORP FUNC
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.