Marathon Oil Corporation (Company) Internal Audit group is responsible for performing operational audits, regulatory compliance reviews, anti-corruption compliance audits and vendor audits. The candidate must be knowledgeable of audit standards (i.e., International Professional Practices Framework) and experienced in assessing processes and controls, as well as providing timely completion and reporting of assigned audit work.
Audits generally cover areas of significant risk or complexity. The auditor has the potential to be exposed to all components of the Company and its management. The auditor gains an understanding of the operations, assesses the internal controls and performs tests to ensure the controls are working as intended. The auditor meets with the auditees to discuss concerns and works with the auditees in developing corrective action plans to improve controls. Auditors can work individually or in teams and will lead audits, as well as serve in a staff position on audit teams. Continuing education is emphasized and selected training is provided to supplement individual professional development. The ideal candidate must be proactive and engaging with an ability to work independently in completion of audits and issuing of audit reports.
- Works with client management to identify risk areas and controls intended to mitigate those risks.
- Planning and executing audit assignments, including development of audit procedures to verify that controls are effective and, if warranted, works with auditees to identify solutions to control deficiencies.
- Communicates audit progress and any issues to auditees throughout the engagement. The auditor executes effective communication of audit progress throughout the engagement, conduct exit meetings to obtain management concurrence and responses, and prepare the final audit report.
- Develops and maintains professional skillsets necessary to proactively perform within audit standards and methodologies and to appropriately interact with auditees and peers.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
- Provides assurance and consulting services with a collaborative culture of continuous improvement that supports enhanced value and effectiveness of enterprise processes and controls.
- Use, and actively promote the use of, data analytics.
- The position requires some domestic and international travel.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in audit a plus but not required
- Upstream oil and gas experience
- Ability to conduct audits involving a high degree of complexity
- Strong collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships at all levels, and across all business units and organizations, while maintaining an understanding of business drivers and risks
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, report writing, and presentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree
- Discipline: All disciplines considered but Accounting. MIS, and other finance a plus
- Certifications/Licenses: None required but CPA, CIA or CFE a plus
- Years’ Experience Required: 2 – 5 years
- Industry Experience Required: Well-rounded knowledge of the oil and gas business preferred
- Travel Required: 10-15%
- Relocation considered: No
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you’re a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You’ll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Posting Notes: || Houston || TX || United States (US) || SF:LI; SF:DI; SF:GH; SF:MN; SF:RZ || Finance and Accounting || Not Applicable || || 30653 ||
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Internal Audit, Audit, Law, Consulting, ERP, Finance, Legal, Technology
To apply for this job please visit careers.marathonoil.com.