Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem’s market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2021 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Lab Technician within our Chemical Manufacturing Facility located in Geismar, Louisiana.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and/or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Performs routine analyses, including control samples and calibration checks, without supervision.
- Provide Laboratory support including (but not limited to): preparation of equipment and reagents, storage of samples, packaging and shipping samples, stockroom/supplies, sampling, and instrument and method maintenance.
- Responsible for preliminary investigation, minor repair, and communication of problems involving instruments, methods, samples, sample containers.
- Maintain analytical data and Lab operating statistical record, to support plant operations and customer specification requirements.
- Analyze & document raw materials, in-process and finished products in accordance with Methods of Test Procedures.
- Assure that the plant is furnished with sample analysis for process control decisions and technical studies in a timely, accurate manner.
- Be thoroughly familiar with and able to operate instrumentation such as analytical balances, titrators, TOC analyzer, ammonia analyzer, gas chromatograph, ICP, HPLC, and Lachat Flow Injection Analyzer.
- Associate Degree in Chemistry or related field, two year Lab Tech program or equivalent education with a minimum 2 years of college chemistry and 1 year of college math.
- Must be knowledgeable in analytical methods and functions and be able to perform mathematical calculations.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays as necessary.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry or related field.
- Experience in laboratory setting handling hazardous chemicals.
- Wet Lab Chemistry Knowledge: Basics – moisture, pH, Specific Gravity, Total Solids and other basic lab equipment and procedures
- Good working knowledge of SAP.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status
– Union Plant Operations
– United States-Louisiana-Geismar
– OXY CHEM
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.