Lead Process Safety Engineer – Hackberry, LA
Airswift is an international workforce solutions provider within the energy, process and infrastructure industries. Airswift serves as a strategic partner to our clients, offering a turnkey workforce solution to capture and deliver the top talent needed to complete successful projects by aligning with the unique needs of our clients. With over 800 employees and 6,000 contractors operating in over 50 countries, our geographical reach and pool of talent available is unmatched in the industry and the level of experience, exposure and expertise that the organization has is unparalleled.
Our client is seeking a Lead Process Safety Engineer to work within their facilities located in Hackberry, LA, for a 12-month assignment.
As the Lead Process Safety Engineer, you will report directly to the Process Engineering Director and play a pivotal role in developing and maintaining our site’s process safety management program. You will collaborate across departments, monitor key performance indicators (KPIs), and implement strategies to enhance safety barriers and risk profiles. Your dedication to safety will help safeguard our employees and operations.
- Demonstrating expertise in Independent Layer of Protection (IPL) analysis and ensuring consistency of IPL-related process safety information (PSI) across facility documentation, drawings, data systems, P&IDs, and operating limit lists.
- Preparing and monitoring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) according to API 754 standards, taking action on exceedances, and developing systems and procedures to enhance internal knowledge and compliance with Process Safety Management (PSM) topics.
- Developing an in-house PSM program that meets or exceeds FERC and PHMSA requirements, involving coordination across departments, culture change efforts, documentation updates, and alignment with relevant standards.
- Managing compliance with the in-house PSM program and providing management with a status dashboard.
- Generating and managing a set of annual KPIs for PSM program requirements, suggesting targets, collecting monthly data, and using KPIs for driving change and management reporting.
- Overseeing Process Safety Assessment (PSA) activities to evaluate cumulative changes in process and utility facilities, including planning, attending sessions, clarifying actions, follow-up, and monthly reporting on PSA actions.
- Coordinating and facilitating minor HAZOP sessions and desktop safety reviews for capital projects and plant changes (MOCs).
- Applying the Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) methodology to assess plant configurations, promoting a culture of safety barrier thinking, and leading risk assessments as needed.
- Providing reporting and data for FERC and PHMSA audits in collaboration with the regulatory affairs department.
- Maintaining a database of HAZOP, PSA, LOPA, and risk assessments to ensure high standards and minimize re-work.
- Leading or participating in incident investigations objectively, using investigative tools like Tripod and RCA to determine root causes, define effective actions for prevention, and ensure incidents follow internal protocols.
- Performing additional duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge in Process Safety Indicators API 754 standard and OSHA PSM 29 CFR 1910.119 is required.
- Broad knowledge of process safety, process safety management, plant design as related to safety implementation, siting, firefighting, fire proofing, relief cases, HAZOP.
- Calculations to determine the Safety Integrity Level (SIL) of the Safety Instrumented System (SIS).
- Competency in dispersion, overpressure, release modeling.
- Computer skills including, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio, Adobe Acrobat Professional), SharePoint, etc.
- Familiarity with industry and government standards.
- High-level knowledge of HSSE practices.
- Effective communication (written and verbal), with the ability to be diplomatic and persuasive
- Fluent in English.
- Organized and multitasking skills.
- Self-driven, strategic thinker with minimal guidance.
- Goal-oriented, exceeds deadlines.
- Attention to detail in high-pressure situations.
- Remains composed during emergencies and handles urgency well.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards.
- Ability to interface with a culturally diverse range of personnel with varying disciplines, backgrounds, and experience levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills, works well with management, peers, and various facility-level workers.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with employees, vendors, and suppliers.
- Physical agility for activities involving standing, walking, climbing, running, sitting, kneeling, twisting, bending, pulling, pushing, carrying, lifting, and overhead reaching, often involving both upper and lower body extremities.
- Ability to enter confined spaces.
- Walking on uneven surfaces and climbing stairs and ladders ranging from 4 ft to 200 ft.
- Lifting equipment necessary for job tasks.
- Wearing safety and protective equipment as needed.
- Exposure to extreme outdoor conditions such as heat, cold, loud noise, and dust.
- Ability to sit at a desk and operate a computer for extended periods of time.
- Extended periods of sitting at a desk and computer operation.
- Availability for on-call duty, work outside regular hours, and handling emergency response.
- Willingness to travel for training and meetings as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Minimum of twenty (20) years’ experience as a PSM professional in LNG, petrochemical/oil & gas or services provider.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credentials (TWIC) is required.
To apply for this job please visit www.airswift.com.