Mechanical CAD Designer – Development
Stonehouse – United Kingdom
Mechanical CAD Designer – Development
We are Schlumberger, the leading provider of technology and services to the energy industry. Throughout much of the oil and gas lifecycle in over 120 countries; we design, develop, and deliver technology and services that transforms how work is done.
We define the boundaries of the industry by unleashing our talented people’s energy. We’re looking for innovators to join our diverse community of colleagues and develop new solutions and push the limits of what’s possible. If you share our passion for discovery and want to find out what you could really do, then here is the place to do it.
We are committed to being at the forefront of the industry’s shift towards sustainable energy production – delivering both measurable social and environmental progress. Sustainability is an important part of our history and a critical element of our future. We are proud to have a comprehensive sustainability program that is embraced throughout the organization, and responsive to local goals and driven by local teams. Our sustainability focus is made up of three components which align with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGS) – taking climate action, creating opportunity, and empowering local teams.
Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, UK.
Stonehouse Technology Centre (SHTC) is the Schlumberger drilling Centre of Excellence. It supports Schlumberger Oilfield Services through innovative engineering and quality-driven manufacturing, with portfolio emphasis on rotary steerable systems, Measurement While Drilling tools, Specialised Measurement tools and Rechargeable Batteries for Downhole use, and power source products.
Over 300 employees work in SHTC’s modern, fit-for-purpose building in scenic Gloucestershire. The facility was constructed to handle future demand for PowerDrive tools with an efficient workflow that ensures assembled tools are extensively and rigorously tested before delivery. On site, tools can be monitored using state of-the-art hardware and connectivity that link SHTC to all field locations.
SHTC continues Research & Development investment for new technologies, extending operational limits so that clients can reach hotter, deeper reserves.
The Mechanical CAD Designer – Development is responsible for preparing and maintaining Engineering or Sustaining project design layouts, production drawings and other related documentation per ANSI/ Schlumberger standards, considering methods of manufacture, tolerances and their effect on related parts or assemblies.
You will be involved with the mechanical components of products throughout their development cycle. You will apply Mechanical Design and Engineering skills to assist in providing innovative and cost-effective solutions for customers requiring the development of new or improved Drilling & Measurement products. Within a multi-disciplinary team, you will collaborate with experts to create and assess new designs and contribute to the development of new principles and concepts as well as sustaining the existing fleet of products.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design of average-to-high complexity mechanical and electro-mechanical devices as part of a project team
- CAD model and drawing creation, to internal and international standards and specifications
- Bill of Material (BOM) creation and product file maintenance, including Change Orders (CO) and revision control
- Perform tolerance stack-up analysis and basic design calculations
- You will interface with technical staff from other disciplines, and consult with external suppliers as well as in-house manufacturing and field personnel
- Be responsible for accuracy of assignments and maintain status reports on all projects assigned
- Understand ANSI/Schlumberger drafting methods, standards and procedures
- Understand Schlumberger manufacturing processes and techniques
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent qualifications)
- Recognised time served apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering or experience in a similar Designer role
- Excellent working knowledge of PTC Creo (formerly ProEngineer) or other similar 3D parametric software (Solidworks, Catia, Inventor, NX etc) for both modelling and drawing production
Skills and Experience:
- Technology Engineering/Mechanical CAD/Product File Management
- Knowledge of drafting standards, ISO and ASME including Geometric Tolerancing.
- Tolerance stack-up calculations
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes including Design for Manufacture (DfM)
- Mechanical systems assembly/disassembly
- Excellent verbal and written communication (English)
- Capacity to balance technical constraints, cost, lead time and priorities
- Skilled in teamwork, service-oriented and quality-minded
BlueFlex (if eligible):
We are open to flexible, hybrid working with a combination of on-site & home working days.
What we can offer you:
Competitive base salary with bonus, private healthcare for employee & family, subsidised dental care, Health & Wellbeing programs such as the Employee Mental health support, health & wellness coaching, part employer and employee funded pension contribution, Income protection scheme, life insurance.
Other benefits are also available through the Schlumberger flexible benefits program.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit careers.slb.com.