Date: Jan 13, 2023
Houston, TX, US, 77024
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Characterize risk and uncertainty via integrated analyses in support of the geosteering of horizontal wells in Marathon’s drilling program with the use of LWD technology; monitoring real-time data, providing real-time interpretation, and responsible for adjusting the borehole position real-time to ensure proper wellbore placement
- Multi-disciplinary support to develop technical workflows alongside the corporate subject matter experts that sit within the same organization
- Provide operational support to directional drillers, superintendents, company men, mud loggers, and open-hole logging jobs; oversee all geology related field operations with the drilling rigs
- Implement innovative workflows to accelerate the quality decision making process to mitigate risk
- Generation of detailed structure maps that incorporate multiple data sources including seismic, isopach maps, lithofacies maps, cross-sections from well logs, cores, seismic interpretation, surface geology, and other geological tools
- Generate geological prognoses and lookbacks for new wells
- Communicate technical results to multiple technical teams, supervisors and upper management
- Other duties as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology or Geophysics
- Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Skilled in geologic software and mastery of geosteering applications (StarSteer, Geographix and ArcGIS), as well as core functions of Microsoft suites
- Experience in unconventional reservoirs and operations experience is required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, work two months a year in a 6pm to 6am night rotation, cover 24/7 horizontal geosteering operations; including nights, weekends and holidays
- Excellent interpersonal skills needed for interfacing with all levels of employees within the organization and members of the industry
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment tackling complex subsurface problems. Strong communication skills and capability to explain complicated geologic concepts to people without a geologic background.
- Position is eligible for the 9/80 work schedule, but must be flexible when business needs dictate while covering 24-hour operations
- Must be able and willing to work in an office environment at least 3 days per week
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you’re a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You’ll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Posting Notes: || Houston || TX || United States (US) || SF:LI; SF:DI; SF:GH; SF:MN; SF:RZ || Geosciences || Not Applicable || || 31404 ||
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Operations Manager, Geology, ERP, Operations, Engineering, Technology
To apply for this job please visit careers.marathonoil.com.