Welcome to ConocoPhillips, where innovation and excellence create a platform for opportunity and growth. Come realize your full potential here.
Who We Are
We are one of the world’s largest independent exploration and production companies, based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With operations and activities in 13 countries, we explore for, develop, and produce crude oil and natural gas globally. We are challenged with an important job to safely find and deliver energy to the world. Our employees are critical to our success, and with them we power civilization.
We’re grounded by our SPIRIT Values – safety, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork. These values position us to deliver strong performance in a dynamic business – but not at all costs. We believe it’s not just what we do – it’s how we do it – that sets us apart.
We strive to make a significant difference in the communities where we live and operate. We create an inclusive environment that values all voices and opinions. Together, the different backgrounds, experiences, ideas, and perspectives of our employees drive our success.
ConocoPhillips involvement in Malaysia began in 2000. Since then, the company has grown strongly in Malaysia and now holds interests in six blocks in varying stages of exploration, development, and production. Three partner operated blocks are located off the eastern Malaysian state of Sabah: Block G, Block J and the Kebabangan (KBB) Cluster. These producing assets are being operated by SHELL (Gumusut Kakap and Malikai), PTTEP (Siakap North Petai) and KPOC JV (KBB).
Two operated blocks are located offshore Sarawak, Block WL4-00 and Block SK304 while one block is located offshore Sabah, Block SB405. ConocoPhillips is currently at the early stages of exploration for SK304 & SB405 and has initiated a development plan for discoveries at WL4-00. The company has ambitions to grow further in Malaysia and is currently strengthening its staffing in key areas as the business expands.
ConocoPhillips has an opportunity for an experienced Petrophysicist to join the Exploration Team, although responsibilities may span across all operated and non-operated assets, as well as providing support to the broader Asia Pacific Region Business Units.
The Petrophysicist is expected to provide the technical expertise required for all petrophysical planning, optimization and interpretation for all associated exploration and development projects in the Malaysian Business Unit. The role is critical in ensuring consistent interpretation of legacy wells data, multidisciplinary integration within the subsurface team and ensuring reservoir property uncertainties are properly reflected in static and dynamic models. Role responsibilities include but are not limited to, well placement and design optimization support, preparation and supervision of all petrophysical data acquisition (wireline and MWD/LWD logs), core measurements (RCAL and SCAL), formation pressure measurements (including fluid sampling), production logging, and cement evaluation. The Principal Petrophysicist will be the business unit and region expert on matters related to petrophysics.
The Petrophysicist will need to manage multiple projects at one time ranging from exploration opportunity assessment with limited data, to building out data acquisition plans and monitoring operations, to post-well analysis and development planning. They will report to the Exploration Manager and work closely with others in the team as well as the broader business unit and beyond at times.
- Provide high quality petrophysical support to exploration, appraisal, development and reservoir management teams
- Provide appropriate QC and assurance of the existing interpretations, techniques and methodology
- Carry out in-depth/fast tracked integrated petrophysical studies in a multidisciplinary team
- Deliver petrophysical input for integrated field studies and ensure properties and uncertainties are adequately incorporated in dynamic and static models
- Provide advice on wide range of integrated field studies, from fracture Network modelling, to Pore pressure prediction, geomechanical studies scope and fracture modelling design
- Support well concept optimization and design activity in multidisciplinary team
- Provide technical recommendations including value of information assessment for Data acquisition plans that address key Project issues
- Influence Joint Venture partners in the selection of logging tools and their interpretation as required
- May be required to act as focal point for Wireline contract; support renewal process, prepare scope of work and perform Technical evaluation in line with C&P process
- Deliver real-time petrophysical support during drilling periods.
- Document and present results and recommendations to relevant stakeholders
- Act, when required, as representative in technical conferences and workshops
- Coaches and mentors junior Geoscientists and Petrophysicists to ensure their development
- Actively participate in HSE initiatives and programs that include but not limited to, Safety Observations and HSE Trainings
- High degree of technical competence and a strong business sense
- Capable of working independently.
- Good presentation and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Good organizational and communication skills, a strong team player, a high level of self-motivation and the ability to influence partners
- Proactive and innovative approach to challenges
- Interest and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to coach / mentor younger staff and ability to think beyond petrophysical discipline
- University degree in Geosciences/Petroleum Engineering, MSc preferred.
- Minimum 15+ years’ experience in petrophysics, of which at least 10 should be in integrated field development planning and reservoir modeling.
- Must have carbonate/clastic reservoir experience and worked on producing fields.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in an exploration and development drilling operations environment, achieve alignment among diverse drilling, vendor, and subsurface team stakeholders, and work occasional irregular hours tied to drilling operations. Candidate is expected to be skilled in operations demonstrated via several successful drilling campaigns.
- Prepares comprehensive documentation, presentations and workshops related to specific business plans, study work scopes or discipline content.
- Experienced in major Petrophysical software packages applied in the industry for well and reservoir interpretation (Techlog, Petrel).
- Must be current with the latest industry tools and petrophysical interpretation techniques working with both clastic and carbonate reservoir systems.
- Familiarity with methods of core retrieval, handling, and competent in the design of conventional and special core analysis programs.
- Knowledgeable in petrophysical and geological analysis with a focus on core log data integration.
- Image log processing and interpretation skills are desirable.
- Able to work effectively within and across teams to share knowledge and best practice, and to create integrated products.
- Proven track record of leading people and of coaching and mentoring junior staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Strong influencer traits are expected: candidate must be able to foster alignment within cross-functional teams (Exploration, Development, Wells, G&G Operations).
- Experience in managing subsurface study/services contracts, new scope of work document preparation and the evaluation of submissions is desirable
- ConocoPhillips Malaysia Geoscientists in Exploration, Development and Non-operated teams.
- Subsurface and development team staff across all functions.
- COP Malaysia Exploration Manager
- COP Malaysia Technical/Commercial Staff
- COP Houston Global Subsurface Chiefs
- COP Corporate Technology Functions
- PETRONAS management and staff
- PSC Partners
Apply Before: September 28, 2023
ConocoPhillips’ sponsorship for employment authorization in the country where this job is located is NOT available for this position.
ConocoPhillips is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.conocophillips.com.