Job Purpose :-
Reporting to the Technical Safety Engineering Supervisor, this position is accountable for providing engineered safety support to identify potential hazards and prevent loss of process containment. This involves safeguarding of operations, maintenance, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, process optimization and implementation of changes to ensure integrity and improve reliability.
The Process Safety Engineer works closely with Operations, Engineering and Maintenance personnel to prevent Process Safety top events i.e. Loss of Primary Containment and Loss of Control. The Staff Process Safety Engineer is expected to be diligent in proactively identifying and informing supervisors and Asset Leadership teams of potentially hazardous situations
- Provide Expertise in equipment safeguarding, Pumps, Tanks, Vessels etc. Ensuring Safeguarding manuals are current and up to date.
- Knowledge of design principles for flare systems. Verification of overpressure relief scenarios and assurance on adequate protection i.e. verification of PRV, PVV capacities.
- Advise on the Impairment of Safeguarding Devices and Car Seal Management
- Provide assurance and guidance on Statement of Fitness-Pre-startup Safety (SoF-PSSRs) for plant changes, major maintenance, turnarounds and projects.
- Estimation of LOPC amounts for complex API Process Safety Events
- Act as Technical Safety Reviewer and PHA Facilitator for Plant Changes (MoCs) i.e. HAZOPs, What-Ifs etc
- Apply Process Safety Principles to Facility Siting, and act as a resource.
- Act as focal point for Process Safety Safe Work Practices
- Apply the risk-based decision-making process to ensure that hazards are controlled to As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP)
- Coordinate annual Asset AIPSM ALARP Review and continuously engage members of the Asset on plant’s cumulative risk
- Advise on risk assessment and ranking of HiPo incidents using the RAM matrix
- Apply knowledge and awareness of Learning from Incidents (LFI) process and responsibilities, in reporting, investigation or incident follow-up
- Interpret, review and/or critique critical diagrams such as cause and effect, mechanical flow, piping and instrumentation (P&ID) and mass balance.
- Lead Statement of Fitness Reviews when necessary
- Apply knowledge of project procedures to address HSE/SD in project development and implementation
- Assist Operations and project personnel to establish safe distances between equipment and orientation, buildings or processes
- Advise on design, and implementation of fire, gas and smoke detection.
- Advise on proper design and implementation of active and passive fire protection systems.
- Identify and model Fire Explosion and Dispersion models using computer programs such as Fire Release Explosion and Dispersion (FRED).
- Knowledge of relevant codes and standards, including API 520/521, API 537, API 754, DEPs, ANSI B31.3, CSA Z662, ASME Pressure Vessel Code, EUB60, CEPA and relevant ISO Standards
- No Annual budgets which you directly control but have strong influence over department and production area budgets.
- No direct staff for which you are administratively accountable for. You are responsible to mentor, coach, and support.
- Ability to multitask and progress multiple projects, MOCs and activities in parallel.
- Improving the process safety knowledge and culture in interactions.
- Adaptable to a changing environment.
- Staying calm under pressure i.e. during major maintenance events, abnormal situations and/or Turn Arounds.
Skills & Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
More than 4 years experience in Oil and Gas industry is desirable with at least 1year experience as a Process Engineer with focus on Flare and Pressure Relief System.
Process Engineering or process safety engineering experience with specialization in Flare and Pressure Relief System is preferred.
- Dynamic simulation experience is preferred.
- Relevant Process Safety and/or Process Engineering experience in the Petroleum & Chemicals Industry
- Familiarity with process simulation soft wares – Unisym or Hysis
- Familiarity with both in-house (e.g. HEMP, FRED etc.) and Industrial (e.g. PHAPro, HAZOP, etc.) risk management tools.
- Knowledge of relevant codes and standards, including API 520/521, DEPs, ANSI B31.3, ASME Pressure Vessel Code.
- Good organization, documentation, and follow-up
- Time management skills
- Motivates, coaches, and develops others Values difference opinions.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.shell.com.
Be the first to comment