Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem’s market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2024 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Project Engineer within our Taft Plant located in Hahnville, LA.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintains protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Develops and executes small capital projects to deliver timely, economical, and safe completion. Projects are primarily maintenance replacements. In-house and external design/engineering support is available as needed.
- Acts as the liaison with operations;
- Develops and manages project scopes and schedules;
- Estimates and controls costs;
- Determines applicable OxyChem and regulatory policies and procedures and assures project compliance;
- Defines and coordinates the work of engineering disciplines, both in-house and contract;
- Reviews and approves drawings including flow sheets, isos, layouts, etc. and vendor submittals;
- Prepares procedures, specifications, and bid packages;
- Specifies, requisitions, and expedites materials and equipment;
- Coordinates construction and turn-over to operations; and
- Performs or oversees other activities as needed for a successful project.
- Responsible for project management including, but not limited to, routine project updating and forecasting, project cost controlling, maintaining project documentation and the project database, and project close-out and archiving.
- Communicates the design and technical issues to technical and non-technical functions through reports, memos, design documents, and presentations in a manner that is concise, factual and effective. Trains, directs, and reviews the work of lower level technical staff.
- Recommends action to improve the quality of the engineering function and working on new engineering methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required.
- 3+ years of project engineering experience and 5+ years of job related experience preferred.
- Must be able to develop strong relationships with project sponsors, government agencies, outside engineering, construction and equipment supply firms.
- Must be capable of handling multiple assignments with project ranging in size from $50K to $3MM.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Microsoft Access, Project, and SAP a plus.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Individual with Disability / Veteran Status
– United States-Louisiana-Hahnville
– United States
– OXY CHEM
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.