ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
This role will be responsible for leading continuous improvement efforts to improve reliability and performance for all artificial lift applications (current state – sucker rod lift and ESPs; future state to include gas lift and means of lift under development). This will include evaluating large pools of data to determine root cause(s) of failure, structure piloting of new equipment and processes, managing vendor performance, developing new standards and processes to improve reliable optimization, and implementing data analytics to accelerate learnings. This role is also responsible for supporting both the subsurface technicians and workover supervisors during execution operations and working cross functionally with Wells & Pads.
Roles & Responsibilities
The primary areas of focus would include the following:
- Data Driven Structured Problem Solving and Piloting
- Conduct root cause analysis on individual and/or groups of well failures to identity countermeasures, develop recommendations to be executed, and implement actions to improve well reliability
- Propose and execute pilots to improve reliability and/or production. Monitor, track, and evaluate the results and deliver recommendations to management on field implementation.
- Develop and maintain standards for artificial lift equipment operation, well repairs, equipment repair/reuse, and teardown. Update and improve standards based on review of failure information and feedback from field.
- Utilize data analytics to accelerate information processing and identify pro-active solution for reliability or production performance.
- Support production engineers in non-mechanical failure analysis and provide guidance on failure cause(s) and recommendations on a path forward based on historical information.
- Develop standards and processes for root cause failure analysis or improve existing standards based on data gathered
- Implement improvements to production optimization that support exception-based surveillance
- Create new exception-based surveillance (EBS) signals or support improvements of existing signals that directly relate to subsurface activity.
- Identify and execute artificial lift performance and optimization opportunities to deliver maximum business value with the best possible reliability and identify/implement improvement efforts to maximize well production
- Support EBS troubleshooting for down well production and underperforming wells. Develop, maintain, audit, and update standard work and business rules for all processes.
- Provide technical support and guidance to multiple organizations
- Provide guidance for major intervention scope changes and support execution of plan.
- Liaise with production engineers, process engineers, surface reliability engineers, reliability technicians, and reliability operators on improvement efforts for new or existing processes
- Interact with field personnel through executing leader standard work activities and feedback information to team to improve communication between field and office
- Support subsurface execution team in understanding overspends and identifying countermeasures to reduce variation to estimate and reduction in overall spend per job
- Provide analytical support for wellhead equipment and all other subsurface equipment including expectations associated with integrity management
- Work collaboratively with the subsurface execution team to improve overall safety performance and reduce risks identified with new equipment
- Develop and maintain countermeasure tracking dashboards to keep asset update on progress of improvement effort
- Lead large scale projects and improvement efforts that span across multiple organizations
- Execute and/or support major life cycle change projects that are related to the subsurface value streams (i.e. new artificial lift types).
- Lead implementation of new technology aimed at improving well reliability or improving production performance
- Lead rapid improvement events to identify large process improvements or equipment changes
- Work cross functionally with GSC and other organizations to maintain high quality and delivery from suppliers
- Work with supplier to develop trackable KPIs and develop operating rhythms to monitor performance and track countermeasures for off target metrics
- Create and maintain lists of preferred equipment for all parts of the artificial lift system (i.e. pumps, tubing, rods, wellheads, etc.), and work with GSC to ensure suppliers can meet demand
- Strong informal leadership skills and ability to influence without authority
- Able to influence without authority across organizational boundaries
- Able to lead change with various stakeholders
- Capability to mentor and coach others to support people development
- Support the development of less experienced reliability and production engineers
- Coach reliability technicians, workover supervisors, and other individuals across other organizations to improve asset performance
- Robust problem-solving skills that focus on delivering data driven solutions
- Able to quickly gather and rationalize data
- Utilize structured problem solving to formulate solutions
- Strong Lean knowledge and/or demonstrates ability to learn following skills:
- Teach/coach: 5-Whys, Mistake Proofing
- Lead/facilitate: Standard Work Instruction, Structured Problem Solving (A3), Leader Standard Work, Swim Lane Mapping, Dashboards and Operating Rhythm, and Conditions of Satisfaction
- Participate/use: Rapid Improvement Events, Value Stream Mapping, Business Planning (A3)
- Office based role (Minot) on a 9/80 work schedule with field requirements of 1-2 days per week depending on field activity
- Field operations experience (e.g., production engineer, process engineer)
- Robust knowledge of sucker rod lift experience and other forms of artificial lift (equipment and operation); understanding of surface processing equipment
- Knowledgeable in Wellview and XSPOC
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft, SAP, Spotfire, SQL/data mining)
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong analytical and technical skills with attention to detail and process improvements
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision in a diverse, multidiscipline team environment
- Strong prioritization skills for self
- Bachelors of Science degree in mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, or equivalent in conjunction with training and experience
- Minimum of 7+ years of production/operations experience (i.e. ideal candidate would have 5+ year of artificial lift related experience)
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
• Builds Trusted Relationships
• Develops Talent
• Creates Effective Teams
• Thinks Strategically
• Inspires Innovation
• Demonstrates Courage
• Drives Continuous Improvement
• Makes Quality Decisions
• Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer; we welcome diversity in all forms of expression and thought.
Posting Notes: Lisa B Willet | Employee | Facilities & Projects | United States| North Dakota | Minot | | | | | No | 25686
To apply for this job please visit jobs.hess.com.