Who We Are
We are one of the world’s largest independent exploration and production companies, based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With operations and activities in 13 countries, we explore for, develop, and produce crude oil and natural gas globally. We are challenged with an important job to safely find and deliver energy to the world. Our employees are critical to our success, and with them we power civilization.
We’re grounded by our SPIRIT Values – safety, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork. These values position us to deliver strong performance in a dynamic business – but not at all costs. We believe it’s not just what we do – it’s how we do it – that sets us apart.
We strive to make a significant difference in the communities where we live and operate. We create an inclusive environment that values all voices and opinions. Together, the different backgrounds, experiences, ideas, and perspectives of our employees drive our success.
If you are selected as the Senior Analyst for Global Power Markets, you will be a thought leader and team member responsible for analyzing electricity markets, relevant policies and adjacent commodity markets to derive insights and developing presentations to support the Chief Economist’s Office in formulating strategic perspectives on electricity load, generation and prices.
You may be eligible for the voluntary hybrid office work (HOW) program that is designed to provide employees with flexibility while maintaining the advantages of in-person engagement.
Your responsibilities may include:
- Key Areas of Coverage
- North America, with detailed focus on Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), Southwest Power Pool (SPP) & Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO)
- Northern Europe, with focus on Norway
- Australia, with focus on National Electricity Market (NEM)
- China, with focus on Bohai area
- Key Deliverables
- Monitor capacity and generation changes, regulatory environment & transmission changes
- Forecast power demand growth
- Forecast generation mix changes
- Integrate ConocoPhillips gas price profiles to derive long term (hourly and annual to 2050) nodal and zonal electricity price forecasts for focus areas listed above
- Collaborate with the Chief Economist Office on Energy Transition Scenario development and details associated with power demand forecasting and power generation
- Provide input to natural gas demand
- Provide input to primary energy mix and primary energy demand (fuel switch)
- Provide feedback loop of renewable penetration achievements and barriers
- Monitor power markets as a part of the ConocoPhillips Scenario Monitoring System
- Design and develop power point presentations and prose narratives on power markets for internal and external use
- Collaborating with Strategy, Low-Carbon and BU project teams, as well as with Sustainable Development, Government Affairs and Investor Relations organizations
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States as a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as a permanent resident, refugee or asylee
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering, Mathematics, Science, other related field or foreign equivalent
- 3+ years of experience modeling power markets and prices with Aurora or ProMod
- 3+ years of experience in electricity markets analysis
- 3+ years of experience in an analytical role demonstrating strong analytical and problem resolution skills
- 3+ years of experience composing and developing polished, professional quality PowerPoint presentations for senior management
- 3+ years of experience successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously and delivering top quality results under tight and often overlapping deadlines
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel (macros, managing large data sets) and Power Point
- Master’s Degree or higher in Economics, Finance, Business, Applied Mathematics or Statistics, other quantitative field or foreign equivalent
- 5+ years of experience managing large data sets or building databases (e.g., SQL, Oracle, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience developing (from concept to completion) and delivering professional presentations to internal management or external audiences
- 3+ years of experience composing written reports or briefing papers for senior level business/executive audience
- 1+ years of experience using econometric time series techniques with economic, financial or commodity markets or corporate financial statement data
- 1+ years of experience valuing real or financial assets using modern valuation techniques
- Advanced knowledge of power market designs and rules in various jurisdictions
- Advanced writing and presentation skills
- Team player with keen attentiveness to internal customer needs and satisfaction
- Leader who takes initiative, carries projects through to completion and ensures customer satisfaction in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
- Powerful analytical skills. Ability to decompose complex, ill-defined issues into estimable components and derive elegant solutions or proposals
- Takes ownership of actions and follows through on commitments by holding others accountable and standing up for what is right
- Builds effective solutions based on available information and makes timely decisions that are safe and ethical
- Builds positive relationships based on trust and seeks collaboration across organizational boundaries to achieve goals
- Analyzes stakeholder needs, global, political, and market trends to understand how they shape the future and impact business results
- Drives thoughtful and pragmatic change, inspires innovative thinking and continuous improvement, and models adaptability through resourcefulness, flexibility, and positivity
To be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of January 24, 2023.
Candidates for this U.S. position must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee or asylee. Individuals with temporary visas such as A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, M, NATO, O, P, Q, R or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization in the United States now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
ConocoPhillips is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit careers.conocophillips.com.