Reference No. 009 0703 OT
Reference Number: 009 0703 OT
Our client, a mining group, is seeking a Senior Environmental Officer, to report to the Senior Superintendent, who will monitor the water quality, investigations program and to function as the geospatial data expert as part of the overall environmental monitoring program. The incumbent will perform data and trend analysis, interpretation and reporting in line with DRC legal requirements & International standards and will also be responsible for the generation of all required maps (GIS) for environmental related aspects. This position is instrumental in managing a complex environmental monitoring results database and providing technical reports.
- Manage and organize laboratory and field environmental (with a focus on water) data, while ensuring quality and consistency.
- Synthesize and analyse data, with a focus on water monitoring data but not limited to water, to determine validity and quality, and to interpret correlations between human activities and environmental effects.
- Research sources of pollution to determine their effects on the environment and to recommend means of prevention or control.
- Assist in ensuring conformance to DRC and international environmental (IFC, Equator principles etc) standards by effectively monitoring key areas and assessing alternatives.
- Work with environmental officers and environmental laboratories with the objective of ensuring all relevant data is captured into the database and maintained with necessary quality assurance.
- Create application-specific datasets for internal and external reporting and short and long-term trending.
- Actively communicate and coordinate with environmental management, laboratories, and/or other team members to acquire data packages of varying formats to be imported to a centralized database system.
- Maintain an effective administration system, ensuring that all environmental data are recorded and records maintained as per environmental system requirements (Isometrix or environmental software).
- Provide support and services, by understanding business needs and customising actionable solutions, tools and resources.
- Compile digital maps using spatial and geographical information to build a database of information.
- Provide support to the environmental department when digital maps are required, for the deforestation permit application, sitting of infrastructure in relation to permitted areas, delocalisation of communities, no go areas, etc.
- Ability to train GIS staff and keep up with current trends.
- Technical expertise: Analyse spatial/geographic data through mapping software, including data capturing and manipulating, fatal flaw analysis, interpolation, forecasting, spatial differentiation and slope analysis.
- Use GIS software and multiple information sources to validate, update and create maps.
- Build professional long-term relationships with stakeholders.
- Investigate and understand stakeholders’ needs to enable delivery of a quality service.
- Ensure product knowledge and advice is technically accurate and provide stakeholders with relevant information to keep them informed of products and service options.
- Ensure timeous resolution of stakeholder queries and complaints and take ownership of issues.
- Escalate potential risks that may lead to increased costs or financial losses.
- Monitor costs or expenses to achieve cost efficiencies and reduce waste.
- Follow the HSE plan for the Business area and take remedial actions where necessary.
- Comply and co-operate with all safety principles, directions, instructions and training.
- Actively use Usulama Incident Reporting, participate in Planned Task Observation, and comply with any directives from Safety Department.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Undergraduate degree in Geography/GIS, Geo-spatial data, Data management or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years in GIS, data management, in the environmental and mining sector.
- Fluency in English (Fluency in French is an advantage).
- Knowledge of International Environmental Standards (IFC, Equator Principles, ICMM).
- Familiarity with ESRI’s ArcGIS, ArcInfo, ArcEditor and ArcView software products.
- Advanced skills with MS Excel and proficiency with MS Word and PowerPoint.
Benefits and Contractual information:
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to Olivia Trollope at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit www.mining-recruitment-jobs.com for more exciting opportunities.
CA Mining will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.
To apply for this job please visit www.caglobalint.com.