On January 1, 2021, Husky and Cenovus combined to form a resilient integrated energy leader. Husky is now part of the Cenovus group of companies.
We’re a Canadian-based integrated energy company headquartered in Calgary. We’re committed to maximizing value by sustainably developing our assets in a safe, innovative and cost-efficient manner, integrating environmental, social and governance considerations into our business plans.
We operate in Canada, the United States and the Asia Pacific region. Our operations include oil sands projects in northern Alberta, thermal and conventional crude oil and natural gas projects across Western Canada, crude oil production offshore Newfoundland and Labrador and natural gas and liquids production offshore China and Indonesia. Cenovus’s downstream operations include upgrading, refining and marketing operations in Canada and the United States.
Reporting to the Superior Finance Manager, you will have a lead role in ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the financial close process and financial reporting in accordance with Husky and SRC Financial Leadership directives, policies, and procedures. A deep understanding of the refinery revenue cycle and revenue/COS reporting is required in addition to understanding the expenses and capitalized costs incurred and budgeted to cost centers and AFEs. Ensuring standardized processes and reporting alignment between actual results and forecasts along with the timely communication of financial reporting to the BU is paramount. Specifically, you will perform technical accounting and business financial analysis, assist in assuring accounting and process controls are in place and operating effectively with respect to financial and management reporting, forecasting and variance/trend analysis. Effectively, contribute to business unit initiatives, and function as a focal point to the leadership team and cost center owners on ensuring the accuracy of financial reporting against budgets and forecasts. The specific responsibilities below are not in any particular order of importance
- Work closely with Cost Center (CC) owners to help them understand their actual and budget/forecasted spend and provide Business Units (BU) with timely and meaningful financial analysis and support for Superior Refinery
- Take initiative to become a SAP reporting power user and MS Excel intermediate/expert user through focused training and leveraging Lima, Corporate, and SRC Finance and Operating resources that have demonstrated a willingness to help the SRC Finance team
- Prepare and post required month-end journal entries with adequate clear support for approval by the Finance Manager. Of critical importance are the month-end accrual entries that require a consistent methodology to validate the completeness and accuracy
- Create and maintain a detailed month-end closing and post-close reporting check-list under the direction of the SRC Finance Manager
- Provide assurance that business unit financial statements align with business activities and are in accordance with Husky accounting policies
- Interpret results of SRC and SRP business unit reporting and take lead role to develop qualitative explanations for discussion based on non-financial metrics and financial measures
- Take lead role with improved reporting on key items including but not limited to Open P.O. commitments, AFE status reporting, etc.
- Work with the SRC and Corporate Finance Managers to identify and assist in implementation of corrective actions to close variances with ultimate objective of being out in front of the issues driving variances
- Provide financial information in support of consolidated business Key Performance Indicators for Downstream BU
- Take lead role in providing support in the preparation and submission of Throughput, Margin, Capital, Operating cost and SG&A budgets across the SRC/SRP BU.
- Provide finance and accounting services (including accruals, allocations, inter-company transactions, preparation and analysis of business unit financial statements etc.)
- Act as a focal point under direction from the SRC Finance Manager for corporate initiatives and process improvements projects and coordinating activities as appropriate
- Work with Finance Manager to identify impact of Corporate initiatives on business unit finance and reporting
- Respond to ad hoc requests and participate in ad hoc projects as required
- With direction from Finance Manager, take lead role in ensuring accounting structures in SAP are appropriate and consistent with other Downstream BUs (e,g. Lima) and Corporate expectations
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience in business/financial analysis and technical accounting treatment of revenue recognition, fixed assets, inventory, valuation, etc.
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in accounting and/or business/financial analysis, in the oil and gas or manufacturing industry
- Strong computer skills and a solid knowledge of SAP and/or other reporting systems are required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong financial acumen
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy, with a demonstrated ability to work independently, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of management
- Self-starter able to perform with broad guidelines on delivery
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, leadership and team skills
- Ability to apply innovation and initiative to problem-solving and trend analysis
Education & Professional Designations
- A Bachelor of Science or equivalent with a specialization in Accounting/Finance
- Professional designation (CPA, CMA, CGA, CA)
- Safety Sensitive: No
- Employment of a final candidate selected for this position will be conditional upon successful completion of required pre-employment medical and alcohol/drug assessments.
Our shares trade under the symbol CVE, and are listed on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges.
For more information, visit cenovus.com.
Find Cenovus on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
Why we work at Cenovus:
- Safety as a core value
- Competitive compensation
- Flex time
- Employer paid benefits: health, dental, vision & more
- Volunteering opportunities
- Community Investment activities
- Inclusive work environment
- Career progression/internal mobility opportunities
- Company/team building events
Please note that pre-employment background checks are pre-conditions to Cenovus employment offers and must be completed successfully before you are confirmed to start with Cenovus.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.huskyenergy.com.