- Vacancy information
Subsea 7 has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer for 6 months + extension.
Based within the Design & Analysis Department of Subsea 7’s Global Project Centre in the Paris office (France), you will be challenged to apply geotechnical engineering principles to the full range of offshore geotechnical engineering topics faced by Subsea 7. This will include but not be limited to site investigation, geohazard risk assessment, foundation design, pipeline-soil interaction (PSI), landfall, trenching and rock dumping.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of a multidisciplinary team, be the focal point for geotechnical engineering on tenders, FEED and projects.
- Evaluate the quality of available site investigations and be capable of specifying and supervising complementary site investigations when needed.
- Interpret and use offshore site investigation data and be able to integrate results into detailed design of subsea infrastructure.
- Undertake detailed design of gravity based (skirted) foundations, piled & suction piles and evaluate/recommend pipe-lay initiation anchors.
- Use of 2D and 3D finite element software for analysis and design of complex soil-structure interaction problems.
- Use of limit analysis for estimation of collapse load for foundations subject to complex loading.
- Carry out PSI analyses and support engineering disciplines for pipeline and umbilical installation analyses, stability analyses, buckling and walking assessments.
- Perform pipeline intervention design, e.g. dredging assessment, pre- & post lay rock berm design, crossing stability and settlement.
- Understand the nature of the various geohazards affecting a site and evaluate their impact on the construction.
- Understand general geotechnical issues and evaluate any associated financial/safety/quality implications to Subsea 7.
- Offshore assignments, such as the supervision of offshore site investigations, foundation installation, and pipeline trenching works as required.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering with specialization in Geotechnical Engineering. A Master’s degree is favorable.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience
- Strong analytical as well as creative problem-solving skills – ability to suggest and develop new methods and ways of working.
- Understanding of clients’ needs and ability to suggest and apply “fit for purpose” solutions.
- Good communication skills in English, both verbally and written.
- The ability to work in a team as well as individually with a minimum of supervision.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments overseas
Essential Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Experience in foundation design to API, DNV and ISO standards.
- Experience in the design of various foundations types including gravity based (skirted) foundations, driven and suction piles.
- Experience pipeline-soil interaction (PSI) analyses and supporting engineering disciplines for pipeline and umbilical installation analyses (initiation anchors), stability analyses, buckling and walking assessment.
Desirable Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Familiar with geotechnical engineering software like Plaxis 2D/3D, OPILE, Limit State Geo, GRLWEAP.
- Experience in pipeline routing studies and near-mudline geotechnical characterisation studies would be beneficial.
- Experience in offshore trenching and rock dumping assessments, subsea trenching equipment and its performance.
- Experience in the specification and supervision of offshore site investigations.
- Master degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering with specialization in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Based in Paris
To apply for this job please visit careers.subsea7.com.