* Technically responsible for the reliability and safe operation of the following equipment: 33,000 process control instruments, 37 distributed process control systems, 50 programmable logic safety interlock systems, 172 online process analyzers, 262 LEL, H2S,¬ and O2 deficiency safety systems, 39 process operating units/systems.
* Provide support for the following activities: maintenance work orders, unit turnarounds , reliability upgrade projects, capital projects, “near-catastrophic” incident investigations, process hazard analysis review, management of changes
* Provide support for the following personnel: process area superintendents, unit supervisors, process coordinators, hourly process operators, chemical engineers, mechanical engineers, hourly instrument technicians, hourly electricians, hourly analyzer technicians, maintenance planners.
* Serve as the lead instrument engineer for instrument maintenance and capital instrument reliability improvement projects.
* Oversee (Support Large Capital Projects in) the design, selection, configuration, maintenance and documentation for Instrument systems at the refinery.
* Assist plant maintenance groups daily in troubleshooting and repair for plant Instrumentation and provide training for said equipment. Monitor and revising instrument repair procedures that are not “best in practice”.
* Provide instrument engineering services, and or guidance for refinery capital, expense, and during turn-around activities projects to insure refinery standards are met (PARES).
* Identify and eliminating “bad actor” instrument installations to reduce cost and improve production.
* Develop and issue Management of Change documentation required to satisfy OSHA PSM 29-CFR-1910.
* Investigate equipment failures and issue change recommendations to eliminate further occurrences.
* Develop and issue installed cost estimates for instrumentation improvement projects so that equipment owners can make informed decisions.
* Review, research and recommend instrumentation projects necessary to maintain instrumentation reliability on the process units.
* Serve as instrument engineer for process hazard analysis (PHA) and Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) Meetings.
Context & Work Environment:
* This position combines an understanding of I&E engineering principles, and refinery unit operations and overall profitability to assure that these systems function properly.
* The incumbent continually evaluates the rapidly changing instrument field to assure that the refinery selects the most modern, cost-effective, compatible equipment for new and retrofit projects. This person fosters a customer service attitude to provide the refinery with leadership in the instrument field and takes a leadership position in sharing information in this field with all interested parties at the refinery and corporate level.
* Provide guidance to the management team in all matters of instrumentation importance.
* Develop and/or update the existing instrumentation engineering standards and establish guidelines for preventative and predictive maintenance activities.
* Due to the nature of the job there is a risk of exposure to electrical arc blasts, electrical fires and electrical shock, and will require working in all units of the refinery is, including hazardous locations.
* BS Electrical Engineering
* 5+ years of progressive experience in a petrochemical facility, preferred
* Strong analytical and communication skills
* Knowledge and experience in ISA, ANSI, NEC, NESC, IEEE, and OSHA 1910 standards as they apply to electrical equipment and safe work practices..
* Competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* This position requires daily interface with many disciplines within the refinery, with special emphasis on the ability to successfully communicate technical issues to non-Instrument personnel to assist them in making sound and safe decisions.
* On call 24/7.
* Extended work hours/schedules sometimes required during turn-around or project activities.
* Ability to lead by example, logical problem solving skills, works well in team environment, able to manage multiple/changing priorities.
* Familiarity with INTOOLS
Our role in supporting diversity and inclusion
As an international workforce business, we are committed to sourcing personnel that reflects the diversity and values of our client base but also that of Orion Group. We welcome the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that potential workers bring to our business and our clients, including those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and age differences, job classification and religion. In our inclusive workplace, regardless of your employment status as staff or contract, everyone is assured the right of equitable, fair and respectful treatment.
To apply for this job please visit www.orionjobs.com.