This Senior Middle Office Advisor role in the Shell Trading Commodity Finance team is an ideal role for someone seeking to be part of a dynamic and fast paced team that is developing and managing industry leading financing structures and delivering bottom line value over the life of a loan by working with traders, business developers, banks, counterparties and other Shell SMEs such as Legal, Credit and Finance
Join us and be a part of largest energy trading operations in the world!
Where you fit in
The Trading and Supply (T&S) business is one of the largest energy trading operations in the world and this role offers the opportunity to be part of the Trading Commodity Financing team within T&S. The T&S business is constantly growing and innovating to support the Group’s energy transition and Reshape driven portfolio decisions. The business is extremely dynamic, fast moving and demanding. This highly commercial role offers an excellent opportunity to be exposed to the Global Trading business and be a part of the finance team working together with the business to develop and maximize business opportunities.
We are building a world class Middle Office team accountable for the end-to-end risk control and post-deal management of the Trading Commodity Finance (TCF) loan portfolio.
What’s the role?
In this Middle Office role you will be entrusted with managing the Back Office and Middle Offices processes for a portfolio of Trading Commodity Finance loans where you must demonstrate the ability to make real time decisions on live deals that fall within the boundaries of the TCF mandate.
You’ll find yourself managing multiple internal and external stakeholders often at senior levels; internally with the trade desks, business developers, the T&S Leadership team and Finance Operations. Externally with counterparties often a C suit level and our financing partners. The ability to build external relationships with counterparties, insurance brokers, and banks is key. The role requires a commercial mindset and knowledge of the complex TCF landscape to advise on areas such as loan profitability, feasibility of the day-to-day operation of a loan structure, monitoring of compliance with covenants and hedging requirements.
This role offers a unique opportunity to collaborate with Traders, Business Developers and other specialist functions such as Group Treasury, Credit, Legal, Tax, Technical Accounting and Market Risk, amongst others, to provide world class financial structuring solutions that support delivery of incremental commodity trading margin. This role sits within the Trading Commodity Finance (TCF) team, which is the center of expertise for structured finance lending in T&S.
This role is accountable for the end-to-end risk control, governance and post-deal management for active deals in the TCF loan portfolio.
The role is responsible for:
Leading cross-functional deal teams to ensure the smooth operation of live deals. This will require extensive internal stakeholder management (e.g. trading desk, Operators, Legal, Credit and Market Risk) and clear establishment of cross-functional responsibilities.
Advising on the profitability, feasibility, hedging requirements, and expected management of new deals (across different business lines such as Oil, Gas, Carbon, and LNG).
Making decisions related to live deals (often without more senior sign-off) that fall within the boundaries of the TCF mandate and ensuring actions resulting from those decisions are delivered. Decisions will be made through managing internal and external relationships, such as with the counterparty, insurance brokers, local banks, and international banks, Credit, Business Development, and Finance.
The Senior Middle Office Adviser should demonstrate a commercial mindset and knowledge of the complex TCF landscape and will work closely with the Head of Trading Commodity Finance to report portfolio exposure and performance on a quarterly basis to the Group Treasurer, and EVP Trading and EVP Trading Finance and their lines.
The role may be called on to manage sanctions control frameworks that mitigate Shell’s exposure to reputational risk and regulatory fines. This role will collaborate with Legal and the TCF Advisors to ensure that appropriate contractual clauses are in place to mitigate risk and will monitor compliance with the TCF MOA and the TCF governance and control framework.
This role provides forward-looking insight into the counterparties’ ability to meet debt repayments through cash flow and valuation analysis and will peer review the quarterly Expected Credit Loss control, a Key Non-Sox Control currently performed by the TCF Credit Manager, which requires an analysis of underlying collateral valuation, sovereign risk, and comparable fair value transactions.
This role will benefit from:
- Opportunity to contribute to the delivery of the T&S bottom line.
- Broad opportunities to develop specialist financial structuring and risk management competencies through participation in a broad range of deals across the T&S businesses/ commodities.
- Ability to apply Finance skills to a variety of business activities and gain better understanding of end to end value chains.
- Developing problem solving capabilities and an understanding of the value drivers, risks and business players.
- Learning how and when to appropriately leverage of functions and business partners Business.
- The role must effectively challenge and influence commercial transactions, whilst remaining bottom line focused and a partner to the business.
What we need from you?
We prefer someone who as previous Trading back office, Treasury, Banking, facility loan management, or other similar experiences who has gained understanding of the structuring financing solution and their management in the middle and back offices. Someone who can effectively challenge while remaining bottom line focused. We are looking for someone who has speed of business understanding, strong business or customer focus. Being an effective communicator at all levels and having integrity is what we value the most.
Beyond that, we’d hope to see as many of the following as possible on your CV:
- Expertise across the spectrum of Finance competences.
- Ability to gain the confidence of various internal and external parties building on strong knowledge and understanding of the business drivers, value and risk.
- Maturity and understanding to know when to involve functions/ CoEs and effectively play the independent Finance role.
- Problem solving mindset with the courage to ensure professional financial rigor is applied to commercial decision-making process and risk management, bringing analytics and insights to the table.
- Project management skills and flexibility given the support across multiple T&S businesses/ commodities.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.shell.com.