Senior Systems Engineer
Cairo – Egypt
We are looking for an Experienced Systems Engineer for our operations in Egypt
POSITION TITLE: Systems Engineer
Basic Purpose and Scope:
Ensure that critical business systems continue to run efficiently by providing routine and emergency systems and systems administrative activities. Maintain and manage the system, access and security functions.
Manage Omega installations, administration and configurations for In-house Data Processing communities as required. Maintain a working software environment for Data Processing communities.
Manage and monitor the hardware and infrastructure environment of all computer rooms and IT related equipment.
- High skill level with Linux operating system commands/utilities.
- Fundamental understanding of the Linux operating system; for example, understand process control, soft and hard links, distinctions between the kernel and the user environment, or system and application. Understand paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, and filesystem concepts and management.
- Design “engineered solutions” for common systems related problems, ensuring they meet standards as defined by R&E and the Systems Analysts.
- Deploy system updates as defined by R&E and/or Vendors, this includes but is not limited to OS updates, Vendor applications and firmware.
- Maintain NIS including creation, modification, and removal of user accounts and groups, and updates to alias, netgroup, and automount files. Create user accounts and groups and build and configure user’s home directories and local environments and administer passwords.
- Maintain NFS and Samba configurations on Linux NFS servers and clients, NAS systems and parallel filesystem configurations.
- Provide user support in the DP iCenters, and be able to manage and maintain the Crestron equipment, the projectors, and plasma screens in the rooms.
- Install third party software products such as compilers and debug tools.
- Install and coordinate testing of critical security patches to ensure that all application related issues are identified and addressed before the patches are installed globally.
- BSc in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology
- 5 -10 years In hardware, systems, networking concepts and protocols UNIX support Geoscience applications and E&P environment
- Good technical, communication, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong understanding of system architecture, Linux administration, Omega system and installation structure is a must.
- Must be fluent in English
- Must be able to legally work in Egypt, Egyptians, GCC Nationals preferred, current Egyptian residents may apply
Schlumberger is the world’s leading provider of technology for reservoir characterization, drilling, production, and processing to the oil and gas industry. We have more than 20 years of experience in delivering world-class service to our customers through integrated projects. These projects range from basic service coordination through to complete development and abandonment of fields. To meet the growing needs of our business we are encouraging applications from experienced professionals who share our passion for delivering excellence in all aspects of project delivery.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit careers.slb.com.