ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
As a leader on the Advanced Analytics, Data Science, and Subsurface Data Management team at Hess, you will deliver data and insights that drive decision-making, execution and investments for our project initiatives across various areas of the business. The role will be responsible for both building and leading a high-performing team and delivering a crisp data analytics strategy that will pave the path to an insights-driven enterprise. Success requires strong leadership and management skills, analytical savvy, problem-solving sophistication, a willingness to roll up your sleeves and a dedication to make the highest impact possible. We are looking for someone that can think on their feet and thrive in a dynamic environment while ensuring the deepest level of business partnership to ensure an impactful solution delivery.
This role will evangelize and advance the usage, engagement, and satisfaction of Data and Analytics offerings and advocate a customer-focused mindset across the Advanced Analytics and Technical Data Management team. This leader will be responsible for delivering cutting-edge analytics products to internal customers, enabling them to make fact-based decisions while also ensuring foundational technical data management for subsurface customers. This leader will have the responsibility to shape and elevate the maturity and democratization of data and analytics capability across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in domain of Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or Computer Science.
- 10+ years of experience in heavily analytical roles with ability to apply hands-on skills in data science techniques, business intelligence and data engineering, ideally within information technology or data analytics.
- 2+ years’ experience growing and managing a team and experience in strategy and technical roadmap development
- Strong portfolio, program, and project management skills and ability to ensure efficient impactful product delivery across the entire organization.
- Strong portfolio and project management skills, product-thinking and leadership experience
- Proficient understanding of statistical methods, machine learning, and data science methodology used to oversee, validate, and design the development advanced data science models.
- Comfortable at influencing without authority and passionate about people development and coaching a high performing team.
- Ability to build clear and concise presentations and communicate effectively at every level of the organization including senior leadership (c-level and up).
- Proven track record of building strong partnerships with business stakeholders to understand underlying business problems and translate business needs into technical requirements & solutions.
- Entrepreneurial approach and ability to excel in an ambiguous environment.
- Master’s degree with emphasis on coursework of a quantitative nature (e.g., Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Data Sciences).
- Experience in scripting with advanced SQL, extracting large sets of data, and design of ETL flows.
- Experience with building machine learning models, model performance assessments, and optimization techniques.
- Work experience in an inter-disciplinary/cross-functional teams.
- Experience working in an agile project management environment.
- Experience working with data science programming languages (e.g. Python, R, SAS) and statistical packages (e.g. Python, R, SAS, Stata, MATLAB, etc.) a plus.
- Oil & Gas industry experience or equivalent in petroleum/mechanical/chemical engineering or geosciences a plus.
- Familiarity with Geology and Geoscience data, concepts and workflows
- Play an active role in our team’s leadership, taking initiative to execute on our mission, prioritize work, make tradeoffs, manage conflicts, and constantly push the team to grow and evolve to their fullest potential.
- Create flexible and scalable work models leveraging both internal and contract resources.
- Lead the team to develop best practices and streamlined processes, and create a highly productive, professional, partnership focused, and value-driven culture.
- Partner cross-functionally with leadership across the organization including Technology, Assets, and Service Delivery functions to ensure a cohesive vision and delivery of analytics solutions and capabilities.
- Leverage differing skillsets and experiences of team members to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts and instill a positive and collaborative culture across the team.
Strategic Vision & Portfolio Delivery
- Collaborate with leaders across the organization to develop meaningful strategic direction and vision for the core team as well as democratize and scale data and analytics capability across the organization.
- Build project execution roadmaps across multiple lines of business to unlock valuable insights and drive the delivery and monitoring of key technical milestones and deliverables of the plan.
- Instate a collaborative portfolio governance structure and engage with key business stakeholders to ensure proper prioritization, direction, and delivery of projects.
- Maintain an agile project delivery rhythm that continuously considers input from key business stakeholders and improves procedures based on learnings from prior iterations.
- Manage portfolio progress, measure key metrics of delivery velocity, and maintain regular informative communication with wider stakeholder group.
- Partner and influence senior leadership across the company to gain data advocacy and contribute to strategic agenda.
Analytics and Data Science
- Serve as a principal data science expert to help guide the organization in the adoption and advancement of analytics capability through development and delivery of data science and analytics solutions and teaching the data science discipline to others.
- Evangelize and lead the establishment of the data and analytics function by cultivating the power of data-driven insights into the organization through the development and continued expansion of the “Analytics Academy”.
- Serve as an analytics expert for your stakeholders, helping them break down business problems and make better decisions using analytics.
- Make critical recommendations and work closely with the business stakeholders to ensure coordination and successful solution delivery.
- Leverage data science and analytics skillset to oversee the delivery of complex analytics and machine learning solutions to ensure high quality and validity of data models before deploying to wider usage.
Subsurface Data Management
- Provide strategic vision and drive change for the SSDM team regarding work management, emerging technology and flexible staffing models.
- Maintain close relationship with Exploration leadership to understand challenges and initiatives so that IT is prepared to meet the demand.
- Drive standards and best practices in the subsurface data management space
- Strategically evaluate the team and corporate landscape and provide proactive solutions to avert future challenges.
- Prioritize and execute projects to advance the capabilities of the team and better support Exploration.
- Information Technology
- Upstream Oil & Gas
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Builds Trusted Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Creates Effective Teams
- Thinks Strategically
- Inspires Innovation
- Demonstrates Courage
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Makes Quality Decisions
- Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Posting Notes: Lisa B Willet | Employee | Information Technology | United States| Texas | Houston | | | | | No | 25824