Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem’s market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2021 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Sr. Production Engineer – Cogeneration/Power within our Taft Plant located in Hahnville, LA.
Essential Job Duties:
- Actively participate in programs methods, systems, and practices for maintaining a safe and environmentally sound working environment.
- Production support for all aspects of continuous operation of the Cogeneration unit. Responsible for developing and implementing a long term vision and direction for the unit by leading the efforts in the areas of quality, safety, production, cost savings, budgeting, environmental compliance, and employee training.
- Work with Cogen Supervisor and Engineers to develop a vision and plan for the overall short and long term operation of the unit.
- Contribute to the capital planning and budget, interface with the project engineering department as necessary to prioritize design, and install new processes and equipment as required to meet the long term vision.
- Provide the technical support to meet operational needs.
- Develop (with Cogen Supervisors’ input) detailed shutdown, decontamination, and start-up plans for major plant and unit shutdowns. Provide technical assistance to the Cogen Supervisor during planning for minor equipment/process shutdowns.
- Initiate and develop projects which improve safety, production output or environmental compliance in the department.
- Gather the resources necessary and drive the projects to completion.
- Monitor the fixed cost for the Cogeneration unit such that budgets are met. Ensure the unit is maintained and operated in a manner to meet or exceed scheduled production volumes.
- Assist in the preparation of the yearly operating budget. Provide detailed summaries of material and supply usage/needs to allow yearly base budgeting.
- Develop and monitor key process variables utilizing charts and analytics.
- Generate repots sufficient to provide a detailed summary of plant performance. Work to streamline the process (and increase accuracy) whenever possible.
- Provide daily technical support to the Cogen Supervisor concerning the economic and safe operation of the plant.
- Lead the Cogen Supervisor in equipment planning.
- Support the Cogen Supervisor in startups and shutdowns – coverage for emergency situations.
- Participate in Process Hazard Reviews.
- Electronic Routes – recommend changes / monitor data sets for bad actors and assist the Cogen Supervisor with monitoring operator route performance.
- Provide troubleshooting assistance to the process supervisor to solve process related problems. Muster the resources and lead the efforts related to longer term, high impact, high risk problems.
- Assist the Cogen Supervisor in operator training in the following areas: Statistical Process Control (theory and techniques), specific plant processes, instrumentation and control, valve design, and similar topics.
- Assist, when appropriate, with the coaching and training of the Cogen Supervisor.
- Participate and accept responsibility for meeting plant and individual PSM goals and monthly spreadsheet responsibilities as required by HESP-610 Procedure.
- Actively demonstrate commitment to, and promote, Oxy’s core values and cultural traits.
- Provide technical guidance to production personnel to achieve optimal process efficiencies and raw material usage.
- Identify and implement procedures and projects to optimize process and equipment capacity and efficiency.
- Consult with engineering and maintenance support staffs on a regular basis regarding cogeneration plant concerns to insure reliability issues are properly addressed
- Recommend improvements needed to maintain the plant FOR goal of 0.3% and timely address any new issues that arise.
- Review and monitor critical process parameters including water chemistry, lab analysis, and daily operating logs to monitor and report on critical equipment and process performance.
- Assure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations and operating permits.
- Reviews and investigates cogeneration area equipment failures and recommend improvements.
- Actively participates in plant’s Health, Environmental, Safety, and Security (HESS) programs to assure a safe and environmentally sound workplace.
- Assumes accountability for meeting plant safety goals and various other requirements including training, work permits, critical items inspections, job observations, housekeeping, reporting hazards and issues, and working safely in job assignments.
- Actively participates in safety meetings and various other HESS programs while promoting safety through offering recommendations to other employees on working safely.
- Participate in Industry User Groups, such as 7FA User Group and Steam Turbine User Group (STUG), and Generator User Group (GUG).
- Maintain relationships with outside contacts including equipment manufacturer representatives, engineering design, and Cogen contractors.
- Complete any additional responsibilities assigned by Plant Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Preferably Mechanical) with a minimum of 10 years power plant process and maintenance experience perferred.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- High degree of involvement with all other plant departments
Additional Desired Qualification
- Good working knowledge of metallurgy of high energy piping
- Familiar with NERC requirements.
- Experience with GE D11 steam turbines and GE Frame 7F Gas Turbines or equivalent
- Experience with HRSG management and maintenance
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status
– United States-Louisiana-Hahnville
– OXY CHEM
To apply for this job please visit oxy.taleo.net.