Onshore Job Level9
Location: London /
Liverpool / Houston
Seadrill is one of the
world’s most modern offshore Deepwater drilling companies. Using
ground-breaking technology we operate in 15 countries across 5
continents, employing some 5,000 people representing 65 nationalities.
Our vision is to Set the Standard in Drilling. It’s an ambitious goal.
And every single one of us has a part to play. Help us to keep
innovating, improving and maintaining the highest safety standards, and
we’ll give you what you need to be your best too.
Diversity and inclusion are more than
words for us. Everyone is welcome—as an inclusive workplace, our people
are comfortable bringing their authentic whole selves to work. We
continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and
celebrates the diverse voices of our people. It fuels our innovation and
connects us closer to our customers and the communities we operate in.
Bermuda-based multinational company listed on the NYSE and OSE, with over
250 legal entities, Seadrill operates in multiple countries reflecting the
major oil and gas basins. As a result, there is significant complexity within
our group structure, tax, and accounting arrangements. This complexity,
combined with our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of
governance and compliance, brings about the need for a [Head of] Tax Accounting
individual will serve as the in-house authority on tax accounting and
financial reporting, expertly navigating complex and judgmental tax
accounting matters. The role involves end-to-end ownership of the tax financial
reporting process under US GAAP. This includes providing direction to
various in-house and outsourced teams, reviewing tax calculations, and
leading the dialogue with external auditors on tax-related accounting and financial
reporting matters. An integral part of the role is also implementing and
maintaining robust SOX controls relevant to this area, ensuring the highest
level of governance and compliance.
will also be instrumental in the organization’s adaptation to the ‘Pillar
2’ international tax framework. As a key stakeholder, the individual will work
closely with the Group Tax team. This position will influence Seadrill’s
strategic approach and will play a pivotal role in adjusting our existing
systems and processes to meet these new requirements, demonstrating the
ability to drive efficiency in a complex regulatory environment.
is geared towards driving efficiency and accuracy across all aspects of the
tax accounting and financial reporting. It demands exceptional technical
tax and accounting knowledge, strong leadership skills, and the ability to
deliver under tight reporting deadlines.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
of the role include the following:
- Subject matter expert: As the [Head of] Tax Accounting and Reporting, you will be the go-to person for all complex tax-related accounting and financial reporting matters. This means maintaining an in-depth knowledge base, staying abreast of changes in tax law and accounting practices, and providing insightful guidance to the wider team.
- Overseeing end-to-end tax accounting process: You will define, manage, and oversee the tax accounting process within our complex multinational group structure. This includes the accurate computation, timely preparation, and review of tax provisions for financial reporting purposes.
- Directing and instructing Tax Managers and SSC Accountants: You will set the direction for local tax managers within the framework of the tax financial reporting process. Your interactions will extend to establishing timelines, setting clear policies and procedures, offering expert guidance around tax provisions, return to provision adjustments, and deferred tax, and conducting high-level reviews of their submissions. Additionally, you will instruct our shared service center accountants to manage tax-related postings and reconciliations. While you won’t directly manage these roles, your oversight is essential, ensuring robust accounting controls are consistently upheld.
- Researching and documenting technical accounting positions: You will be responsible for identifying, researching, and documenting technical accounting positions over complex or judgmental tax matters such as uncertain tax positions, deferred tax, and valuation allowances. This involves the preparation of clear, concise, and comprehensive position papers and communication of these positions effectively to Senior Management and external auditors.
- Consolidation and review: You will consolidate tax reporting across Seadrill, reviewing the group’s effective tax rate, making necessary adjustments, and preparing tax disclosures for the quarterly financial statements. You will provide guidance to the Group Reporting team ensuring that all tax balances are accurately reflected in the accounting system and appropriately disclosed in financial statements.
- SOX owner for tax accounting and financial reporting: As the designated SOX owner for tax accounting and financial reporting, you will ensure that robust controls are in place, function effectively, and that any identified deficiencies are addressed. Additionally, you will maintain the Company’s tax risk register to ensure a systematic approach to identifying, assessing, and managing potential tax risks across the organization.
- Key stakeholder for external auditors: You will be the primary contact for external auditors on all financial reporting tax-related matters, confidently explaining, defending, and documenting the company’s tax positions.
- Innovative process improvement: You will continuously seek ways to drive efficiency within the tax accounting and reporting process, looking for opportunities to streamline procedures and implement new solutions where appropriate.
- Strategic guidance and support for Group Tax team: Working closely with the Group Tax team, you will provide guidance on tax accounting and reporting matters and will play a pivotal role in adapting our existing systems and processes to meet the requirements of the newly introduced international tax framework, ‘Pillar 2’.
- Training and knowledge sharing: You will coordinate and provide regular training and update sessions to the wider accounting teams on tax-related matters, enhancing the collective knowledge and skill set of the team.
- Line management: You will oversee and mentor a direct report who will support you in these responsibilities, developing their skills and capabilities while also ensuring the smooth running of the overall tax process.
SAFETY AT SEADRILL
Our goal is to ensure that ‘nobody gets
hurt’ whilst performing their job. Everyone at Seadrill has a part to
play in meeting our safety commitment.
Through strong leadership and personal
responsibility from all employees, we take a systematic approach to
identifying, managing and preventing the hazards involved in our day to
day operations. Nothing is more important to us than the health, safety
and security of our workforce and the communities in which we operate and
behaving responsibly towards our shared environment. We are vigilant,
disciplined and always looking out for one another. We have developed and
embedded a strong safety culture onshore and offshore, fostered by all
employees, who each have a personal responsibility and the authority to
put an immediate stop to the job if they believe it to be unsafe.
Everyone at Seadrill is accountable for helping to build this culture of
SEADRILL BEHAVIORAL FRAMEWORK
In Seadrill, setting the standard is not
just about what we deliver, but how we deliver it.
We co-created our Behavioural Framework
with our employees, where we identified four key competencies that define
our culture and help us to live our values. Our behaviours are embedded
in the way we work and support and guide us day to day:
- Drive & Ownership
- Change & Forward Thinking
- Communication & Collaboration
- Service Delivery
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Minimum 10 years of post-qualification experience (PQE), ideally including both public accounting and hands-on experience in an in-house role within a multinational company.
- Exceptional knowledge of US GAAP accounting and strong technical tax knowledge, particularly around listed groups.
- Knowledge of other local territories’ accounting and tax rules.
- Proven experience managing an end-to-end tax accounting and reporting process, ideally including the implementing of process and system improvements.
- Excellent communication, writing, presentation, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Prior experience of working in the offshore drilling sector or a related industry, with the ability to apply this industry-knowledge to tax-related accounting and financial reporting matters.
- Prior hands-on experience with Oracle and Hyperion, along with advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Experience of adapting to fast-changing environments and effective management of ambiguity.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Professional qualification in accounting, such as being a Chartered Accountant (ACA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or equivalent qualification recognized globally.
- Advanced tax certification such as the Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) designation or an equivalent.
- A Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting, Tax, Finance, or related field.
We value our people and want to retain
them. So, we offer a competitive package built around an attractive base
salary and a range of benefits tailored to your location.
Join Seadrill. Own the Opportunity.
To apply for this job please visit seadrill.csod.com.