Date: Mar 2, 2023
Houston, TX, US, 77024
TAX & ROYALTY ACCOUNTANT
Level of Work
Individual performs production and revenue accounting functions and assists in generating business improvements within assigned area with general supervision.
- Exhibits integrity by being widely trusted and admits mistakes. Is seen as a direct, truthful individual. Follows through on commitments.
- Understands how their job adds value and impacts Marathon’s performance. Is optimistic. Is results-driven.
- Possesses a positive, can-do attitude and expects the same from others. Pursues everything with energy, drive and perseverance.
- Continually strives for excellence by maintaining and improving professional and technical skills. Actively seeks to share knowledge and insights that promote learning.
- Communicates openly and is good at focused listening. Provides timely and relevant information. Offers alternatives to “the way it’s always been done”.
- Willing to be held accountable. Shares credit when things go right and doesn’t blame others when things go wrong.
- Sees change as an opportunity. Learns from mistakes and shares this information freely. Remains focused in the face of changing circumstances and relationships.
- Has a passion for seeking creative and innovative solutions to improve the business. Pushes self and influences others for results. Takes action to achieve goals beyond what is called for.
- Is a Team Player and fully supports team decisions. Earns and gives respect at all levels in the company. Is reliable; can be counted on for quality and timely work.
Essential Job Functions
- Under general supervision, applies the principles, theories and concepts of production and revenue accounting to assignments.
- Continues to develop, broaden and utilize technical skills by seeking direction from more senior professionals and by attending appropriate training sessions.
- Demonstrates initiative in seeking additional responsibility and gaining knowledge beyond core responsibilities, e.g., striving to understand the “big picture”.
- May assist in developing and promoting sound recommendations that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- May function as a project leader on less complex projects.
- May assist with the training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
Other Job Responsibilities
- Understands and stays abreast of tax and royalty regulations.
- Records, pays and files tax and royalty reports.
- Prepares accruals.
- Prepares master data/lease master setups.
- Clears tax and royalty errors and rejects.
- Prepares MJEs and write-off entries.
- Monitors and tracks tax incentives.
- Prepares monthly balance sheet reconcilements.
- Assists with audit and litigation requests.
- Assists with acquisition and divestiture requests.
- Prepares analysis and commentary for Balance Sheet meetings.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with the tax and royalty regulatory agencies.
- Special projects.
- Other duties assigned.
Minimum Education/Experience Guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance strongly preferred
- Computer Proficiencies: SAP PRA and Microsoft Office applications a plus.
*Hiring manager may hire at a higher grade based on experience level.
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you’re a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You’ll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Posting Notes: || Houston || TX || United States (US) || SF:LI; SF:DI; SF:GH; SF:MN; SF:RZ || Finance and Accounting || Not Applicable || || 31512 ||
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Law, Accounting, Tax, SAP, ERP, Legal, Finance, Technology
To apply for this job please visit careers.marathonoil.com.