The Senior Drilling Engineer will provide drilling engineering support in all phases of the drilling process, well planning, operations support, project review and closeout, to ensure consistently high standards of engineering and planning are applied to Santos well construction activities. Implementation of lessons learned, new technologies and operational best practice in order to drive down well costs and achieve the company’s exploration and development objectives in a safe and environmentally sustainable way.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Promote and lead in the implementation of Santos Ltd policies and procedures, including Safety, health, environment, process, people and planning
HSES performance in the planning and design phase of well construction
- Ensure compliance with Santos HSES Management Standards during the planning and design phase of the well construction process
- Identify and develop opportunities to engineer safety hazards out of the drilling operation
- Ensure well designs comply with well integrity best practice
- Participate in incident review and investigation as required
- Ensure Risk registers are compiled, and all outcomes of risk assessments are closed out prior to commencing the operation
Well design, monitoring, and reporting activities
- Ensure appropriate drilling engineering input is allocated to concept, feasibility and detailed design stages of well construction projects
- Conduct and participate on peer review well design concepts
- Initiate investigations and close out reports into technical and operational non-compliance events
- Preparation of Drilling Programs as per Santos Standards, Procedures and the SMS process.
- Utilize engineering tools (Landmark Suite, AI Driller & ERA) and principles to assist in all aspects of well design
- Leads risk and peer reviews assessment sessions and incorporates mitigation action plans into procedures.
- Prepare of Cost estimates of different levels as well as AFE’s as required
- Provide engineering and technology advice to ensure well objectives (SORs) are achieved, improving and making effective solutions through innovative technologies and/or business strategies
- Develop recommendations on equipment and materials specification, procurement and contracting with long term outlook; develop strategic planning and recommendations for same to achieve known schedules and objectives
- Steward compliance with various internal approvals, dispensations and change management processes, end of well and lessons learned exercises
- Conduct end of well review meetings to assess technical, operational and financial performance
- Provide daily support for drilling operations
- Conduct field visits to company-operated assets to evaluate operations and maintain a safe and environmentally conscience workplace.
- Monitor and report operational performance relative to benchmark targets
- Identify, assess and control hazards and effectively implement all relevant Santos health and safety policies and procedures.
Maintain business and Engineering systems and processes
- Ensure wells are in compliance with Santos Well Engineering Management process, the Drilling and Completions Procedures as well as the local regulator legislation during the well planning, design and execution phases
- Support Contract team in their processes to secure well specific services as well as support on management of contract of suppliers and performance
- Ensure full utilization of Wellview during the entire well construction, execution and closeout life
- Monitor and co-ordinate challenge session, peer reviews, post well wash-up meetings & AAR’s
- Ensure compliance with drilling costs control processes and procedures
Specify, order and QA all well materials and servicesForecast and order long lead items relative to well schedule
- For quality assurance standards, ensure appropriate specifications for well materials and equipment
- Identify and resolve non-conforming materials and equipment
- Assures that suppliers are aligned with well goals and objectives and that adequate QA/QC plans are in place and being followed by contractors
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- BS in Engineering, preferably Petroleum, Mechanical or Geology
- Strong technical competency
- Be able to utilize engineering tools and principles to assist in design all aspects of a well construction.
- Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas
- Good teambuilding and mentoring skills
- Be able to develop and maintain effective communications with rig based personnel
- 15+ years oilfield experience and operational drilling
To apply for this job please visit www.airswift.com.