Welcome to ConocoPhillips, where innovation and excellence create a platform for opportunity and growth. Come realize your full potential here.
Who We Are
We are one of the world’s largest independent exploration and production companies, based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With operations and activities in 13 countries, we explore for, develop, and produce crude oil and natural gas globally. We are challenged with an important job to safely find and deliver energy to the world. Our employees are critical to our success, and with them we power civilization.
We’re grounded by our SPIRIT Values – safety, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork. These values position us to deliver strong performance in a dynamic business – but not at all costs. We believe it’s not just what we do – it’s how we do it – that sets us apart.
We strive to make a significant difference in the communities where we live and operate. We create an inclusive environment that values all voices and opinions. Together, the different backgrounds, experiences, ideas, and perspectives of our employees drive our success.
ConocoPhillips is one of the world’s leading exploration and production companies based on both production and reserves, with a globally diversified asset portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, ConocoPhillips has approximately 9,600 employees supporting operations and activities in 13 countries. In 2022, production averaged 1,738 MBOED, and proved reserves were 6.6 BBOE.
In Canada, we can trace our history back over 110 years. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, our current investment programs are focused on the operated Surmont oil sands development in the Athabasca region of northeast Alberta and the liquids rich Montney unconventional play in northeast British Columbia. Our production averaged 85 MBOED in 2022 and proved reserves were 0.2 BBOE.
Our story demonstrates our commitment to the community, our innovative approach to technology and our adaptability during the changes faced by our industry. Within our Calgary office, we have implemented a Hybrid Office Work program, which offers eligible employees flexibility with the option of working remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays. We believe that diverse opinions, ideas, and perspectives are what fuels innovation, and we reinforce this belief through a DEI Council of employees, a culture of psychological safety and an Engagement Network, to name a few. Our workforce represents the international communities in which we live and work, bringing together talented people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Consistent with our focus on excellence, ConocoPhillips continues to discover and develop best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion – for the good of our enterprise, our employees, our vendors, and our communities.
ConocoPhillips Canada is currently recruiting a Calgary-based Development Engineer, reporting to the Montney Strategy & Planning Supervisor. The successful candidate will have responsibility for creating the mid-term development plan for the asset, designing the Montney gathering system, Development Pad/Pipeline Premise documents, and is expected to have close interactions with Montney Implementation, Montney PIM, Production Operations, and Capital Projects teams. This role combines technical knowledge of the well/pad design, detailed engineering of Montney gathering system for planning and optimization, and full field development planning to ensure successful program integration and execution. The successful candidate will have a strong background in engineering function, risk assessment, and a proven track-record of people skills on a multi-discipline team. The position has excellent exposure to a variety of functions within Canada and is expected to knowledge share with Corporate, L48 unconventional groups, and SMEs. The Montney Development Engineering role is critical in designing planning for future growth including pad/facility design, commercial offtake, and long-term development plans.
This role is based out of Calgary, on a Monday to Friday, optional hybrid office schedule.
- Create the “mid-term” (FEL-1) development plan (accounting for subsurface quality/performance & plant and pipeline infrastructure constraints or investments); considering multiple options / DIVAs (optimizing to either Net Cashflow, Capital Spend Target, resource recovery or near-term NPV / CoS) through collaboration with a multi-discipline team.
- Create development pad and gathering system General Design and Premise (FEL-1) documents (pad well count, landing zones, well length, completion intensity, completion size per FIP, geographic location, pipeline tie-in location) through collaboration with a multi-discipline team for handover to the Implementation Team.
- Provide necessary support to well delivery team to secure permits and funding.
- Design and model full field gathering system to be utilized in “mid-term” development plan (FEL-1)
- Generate production roll-ups in support of FEL for major facility expansions and commercial offtake agreements.
- Support Competitor Analysis efforts, by monitoring competitor offtake activity, infrastructure design, and development plans
- Member of the annual LRP team working closely with Strategy & Planning Supervisor, Investment Analyst and Development Planning Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Able to work independently with limited guidance.
- Proven track record of effective teamwork within a multi-disciplinary team
- Proactive attitude and willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Effective communication skills to properly interface with multiple groups
- Ability/desire to share best practices/key learning across the organization.
- Legally authorized to work in Canada on a regular full-time basis without restrictions.
- Experience with planning software such as Enersight
- Experience with Petrel, planning well locations and integrating production forecasts.
- Experience applying modeling excellence principles.
- Experience with unconventional resource plays
- Exposure to subsurface issues (GGRE) and uncertainties
- Experience with Collaborative Decision Quality (CDQ)
- Conceptual thinker with the ability to frame complex scenarios.
- Proficient with typical upstream facility mechanical process design principles such as multiphase flow, pipeline sizing, gathering systems, gas plants, etc.
To be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date.
Current employees: Please ensure you have discussed your intent to apply with your current supervisor prior to applying for any internal position.
For information on our Sustainable Development performance in Canada, visit
ConocoPhillips is an Equal Opportunity Employer
February 9, 2024
ConocoPhillips’ sponsorship for employment authorization in the country where this job is located is NOT available for this position.
ConocoPhillips is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.conocophillips.com.