Welcome to ConocoPhillips, where innovation and excellence create a platform for opportunity and growth. Come realize your full potential here.
Who We Are
We are one of the world’s largest independent exploration and production companies, based on proved reserves and production of liquids and natural gas. With operations and activities in 13 countries, we explore for, develop, and produce crude oil and natural gas globally. We are challenged with an important job to safely find and deliver energy to the world. Our employees are critical to our success, and with them we power civilization.
We’re grounded by our SPIRIT Values – safety, people, integrity, responsibility, innovation, and teamwork. These values position us to deliver strong performance in a dynamic business – but not at all costs. We believe it’s not just what we do – it’s how we do it – that sets us apart.
We strive to make a significant difference in the communities where we live and operate. We create an inclusive environment that values all voices and opinions. Together, the different backgrounds, experiences, ideas, and perspectives of our employees drive our success.
ConocoPhillips is one of the world’s leading exploration and production companies based on both production and reserves, with a globally diversified asset portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, ConocoPhillips has approximately 9,600 employees supporting operations and activities in 13 countries. In 2022, production averaged 85MBOED, and proved reserves were 0.2 BBOE.
In Canada, we can trace our history back over 110 years. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, our current investment programs are focused on the operated Surmont oil sands development in the Athabasca region of northeast Alberta and the liquids rich Montney unconventional play in northeast British Columbia. Our production averaged 94 MBOED in 2022 and proved reserves were 0.3 BBOE.
Our story demonstrates our commitment to the community, our innovative approach to technology and our adaptability during the changes faced by our industry. Within our Calgary office, we have implemented a Hybrid Office Work program, which offers eligible employees flexibility with the option of working remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays. We believe that diverse opinions, ideas, and perspectives are what fuels innovation, and we reinforce this belief through a DEI Council of employees, a culture of psychological safety and an Engagement Network, to name a few. Our workforce represents the international communities in which we live and work, bringing together talented people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Consistent with our focus on excellence, ConocoPhillips continues to discover and develop best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion – for the good of our enterprise, our employees, our vendors, and our communities.
ConocoPhillips Canada is currently seeking a Production Engineer to support Surmont Operations within the Production Operations team. Reporting to the Team Lead Production Engineering, this role is accountable for production surveillance and optimization for all SAGD injection and production which includes well test review and allocation. The Production Engineer will work closely with field operations staff supporting their day-to-day activities.
This role will identify, pursue, and manage all production and cost optimization workovers & opportunities on the injector and producer wellbores; this can include work related to downhole configuration optimization, artificial lift selection, well workovers and data acquisition. Technical evaluations will be done in conjunction with the base exploitation team; however, project management responsibilities will lie with the Production Engineer.
This role is based out of Calgary, on a Monday to Friday, optional hybrid office schedule. Periodic travel to site required.
- Supports and complies with the policies and programs of CPC’s Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Management System and ensuring HSE issues are given primary consideration in all activities undertaken within area of responsibility.
- Primary responsibility for well performance troubleshooting, optimization and issuing of daily well targets to Control Room Operators
- Monitor and optimize steam distribution in accordance with Steam Optimization and Allocation Project to maximize steam injection efficiency.
- Assist the Well Integrity team with strategies and guidelines for maintaining surface and subsurface containment.
- Well performance troubleshooting, optimization and issuing of daily well targets to Control Room Operators
- Troubleshooting of surface facility issues such as separation, metering, and instrumentation.
- In partnership with Field Operations and Base Exploitation, monitor production and well test data quality for accuracy of use in volume management system and production allocation needs.
- Generate new opportunities for spend consideration and mature these through FEL stages of Opportunity Management
- Participate and contribute to pad reviews to ensure alignment to the depletion plan.
- Prepare economic evaluations for operating capital and expense production projects.
- Utilize analytical optimization tools and implement continuous improvement of tools and processes when appropriate.
- Plan and manage new well startups (steam circulation phase and SAGD phases)
- Optimize artificial lift (Gas Lift, ESP and PCP) manage the planning and execution of well servicing or workovers.
- Attend pump teardowns when required and make recommendations for ESP design installation. optimization, along working with the Artificial Lift Specialist and Senior Production Engineer.
- Assist with the design and development of the Surmont asset and future pads along with the start-up/ramp-up plan.
- Provide mentoring to new and inexperienced operations and engineering staff regarding well operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Petroleum, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience; 5 years of related production operations experience in SAGD
- Strong understanding of production engineering skills
- Ability to travel approximately 15% each year within the asset area to visit field operations personnel and attend field meetings.
- Proven ability to be an indirect safety leader in the team.
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada on a regular full-time basis without restrictions.
- Commitment to HSE and technical excellence
- Positive attitude and team player
- Strong computer skills
- Able to communicate information and obtain alignment across multiple disciplines.
- Proven collaboration skills with both field operations and other technical staff
- Delivers results through realistic planning.
- Able to make timely decisions based on available information.
- Good understanding and experience in downhole completions, artificial lift systems and interventions
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience in thermal heavy oil operations
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date
Current employees: Please ensure you have discussed your intent to apply with your current supervisor prior to applying for any internal position.
For information on our Sustainable Development performance in Canada, visit www.cpcsustainability.ca
ConocoPhillips is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Before: February 4, 2024
ConocoPhillips’ sponsorship for employment authorization in the country where this job is located is NOT available for this position.
ConocoPhillips is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit careers.conocophillips.com.